You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there! 

I'm working with text in affinity designer and for some reason when I type and the text box is too small, the text overlap rather than automatically returns. This also happens when I resize the text box. When I've worked in designer before the text has always re-flowed rather than overlapping. Anyone know a quick fix for this?

Thanks!

You probably have Leading set to a small size. Go to the Character Panel and under the Positioning and Transform section set the Leading Override to Auto.

Set to 11pt to show text overlapping
1478959289_ScreenShot2018-09-29at07_57_22.png.2f3bd4c67d08df1b103f4aea966758b4.png

This is set to Auto but displays the leading in pt
 251069821_ScreenShot2018-09-29at07_58_24.png.4100b7ca6959f45ce2d42b6783f7501e.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

16 hours ago, EmilyJean said:

Hi there! 

I'm working with text in affinity designer and for some reason when I type and the text box is too small, the text overlap rather than automatically returns. This also happens when I resize the text box. When I've worked in designer before the text has always re-flowed rather than overlapping. Anyone know a quick fix for this?

Thanks!

Maybe, a screenshoot would help. Do you mean the text goes over (to the right of) the text-box itself when it should continue to bottom?

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017 running macOS Big Sur version 11.0.1
Affinity Deisgner 1.8.6 - Affinity Photo 1.8.6 - Affinity Publisher 1.8.6

Do you have two overlapping text frames there? It kind of looks like you may, and if so perhaps you should eliminate that and see if that resolves your problem.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, EmilyJean said:

Hi! 

I tried setting to auto, didn't work. Here is a pic. In the past when I've worked with text boxes I type and the text automatically returns at the end of the text box. Now the text goes back to first line and overlaps. 

Screen Shot 2018-09-29 at 1.29.38 PM.png

If you would rather not upload the whole file, copy that text box and select File > New from clipboard and save that file then upload that file so we can take a look at just the text box 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The text is all overridden via character settings, the paragraph breaks shouldn't be there (but maybe line breaks should if you do not like how the text wraps), you should be using a paragraph style (because it doesn't seem you are), etc. In short, the overrides need cleared out and a style used for the paragraphs.

I removed the images for a quicker upload and set the text with one of the styles present. I also didn't take the time to load the same fonts, so the style is using Times New Roman.

Mike

Yuki_Onna_Back-2.afdesign

1 hour ago, EmilyJean said:

Here is the file. All the text boxes have the same issue - it's not overlapping in those because I pressed return.

As MikeW said, it's because you're overriding things in the Character panel. For example, the Text Frame labeled (Mountain passes or anywhe) has a "leading override" of 0pt, instead of its default value, which will cause paragraph lines to overlay each other. Here's a screenshot of the Character panel for that frame:

leading1.png.168f42cde4d456ee4f47c44cafeb1f0d.png

Any leading override less than about 5pt for that frame will cause text to start overlaying. But as Mike said, you should be using paragraph styles.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1