Jump to content
JoanKauai

Compatible Versions Designer and Photo?

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Will there be "Edit in Designer…" and "Edit in Photo…" menu items in the released version of Publisher?

I think a better question is: Will Photo and Designer get an "Edit in Publisher" menu item?

Without that missing function there seems to be no good way to get back to Publisher after you've used "Edit in Photo" or "Edit in Designer".


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Without that missing function there seems to be no good way to get back to Publisher after you've used "Edit in Photo" or "Edit in Designer".

Other than saving and closing the file then re-opening it manually, agreed.  I pointed out a few times already that those are currently missing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes

So the Vector and Raster personas will be real personas within Publisher and not simply “Open in Designer...” and “Open in Photo...” shortcuts ? That would be cool, i always assumed it was going to be shortcuts rather than actual personas... 


2017 15" MacBook Pro 14,3 w/ Intel 4 Core i7 @ 2.8 GHz, 16 GB RAM, AMD 455 @ 2 GB, 512 GB SSD, macOS High Sierra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ronnyb said:

So the “Vector and Raster” personas will be real personas within Publisher and not simply “Open in Designer...” and “Open in Photo...” shortcuts ?

Of course, that is what many users already thought and what Patrick Connor said, but “they will not have the full functionality of the other applications and their additional persona”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes

Thanks, Patrick. Do you know if we will see "Edit in Publisher" added to Designer and Photo, to enable smooth round-trip processing when the "Edit in ..." commands are used from Publisher?


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Do you know if we will see "Edit in Publisher" added to Designer and Photo, to enable smooth round-trip processing when the "Edit in ..." commands are used from Publisher?

What I really want is "Edit in Photo/Designer/Publisher" opening the application and when the editing is done have a "Return to Designer/Publisher/Photo" option as well as a Save As...


MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.14.5

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.337 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.128 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, Patrick. Do you know if we will see "Edit in Publisher" added to Designer and Photo, to enable smooth round-trip processing when the "Edit in ..." commands are used from Publisher?

I don't know, but it seems odd to me that they aren't there in the beta, certainly for Designer. We still need a page selector in both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer so multipage documents are managable in the other two as round tripping may add further pages.


Patrick Connor

Serif (Europe) Ltd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

I don't know, but it seems odd to me that they aren't there in the beta, certainly for Designer. We still need a page selector in both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer so multipage documents are managable in the other two as round tripping may add further pages.

Thanks.

I was sort of hoping that an "Edit in Photo" for a multi-page document would end up with Photo showing multiple Artboards (much as one gets when opening all pages of a PDF in Photo. As it is, though, Photo just sees the current page when "Edit in Photo" is selected. Which is OK, I suppose. Or would be if there was an easy back to Publisher without having to save the document. (And having to save seems especially odd given that one might have started with a new/unnamed document in Publisher, and might not want it saved yet.)


-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta       / Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.333 Beta    / Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.337 Beta

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I was sort of hoping that an "Edit in Photo" for a multi-page document would end up with Photo showing multiple Artboards

It was explained early in the beta process that there are two types of documents now: artboard-based (Photo) and spread-based (Publisher) which all three applications will be able to open, though possibly not create.  Spread-based documents will not support artboards and artboard-based documents will not support multiple pages.

The impression I got, though not really spelled out, was that Photo will only create artboard-based documents, Publisher will only create spread-based documents, and Designer will have the option of creating either one.  I could be mistaken, but that is how I interpreted what was being said by the Serif team early on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The artboard/page would be the logical common compositional unit. Spreads in Publisher should simply be thought of as grouped artboards/pages. If spreads are brought into either Designer or Photo, perhaps there could be an option to bring them in as either grouped or individual artboards/pages.

The concept of grouped artboard/pages is also the solution to building foldout pages for books and magazines in Publisher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×