You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Compatible Versions Designer and Photo?

16 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Will there be "Edit in Designer…" and "Edit in Photo…" menu items in the released version of Publisher?

I think a better question is: Will Photo and Designer get an "Edit in Publisher" menu item?

Without that missing function there seems to be no good way to get back to Publisher after you've used "Edit in Photo" or "Edit in Designer".

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Without that missing function there seems to be no good way to get back to Publisher after you've used "Edit in Photo" or "Edit in Designer".

Other than saving and closing the file then re-opening it manually, agreed.  I pointed out a few times already that those are currently missing.

7 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes

So the Vector and Raster personas will be real personas within Publisher and not simply “Open in Designer...” and “Open in Photo...” shortcuts ? That would be cool, i always assumed it was going to be shortcuts rather than actual personas... 

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

1 hour ago, ronnyb said:

So the “Vector and Raster” personas will be real personas within Publisher and not simply “Open in Designer...” and “Open in Photo...” shortcuts ?

Of course, that is what many users already thought and what Patrick Connor said, but “they will not have the full functionality of the other applications and their additional persona”.

• Staff
1 hour ago, ronnyb said:

So the Vector and Raster personas will be real personas within Publisher

Yes

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

29 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Yes

Thanks, Patrick. Do you know if we will see "Edit in Publisher" added to Designer and Photo, to enable smooth round-trip processing when the "Edit in ..." commands are used from Publisher?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Do you know if we will see "Edit in Publisher" added to Designer and Photo, to enable smooth round-trip processing when the "Edit in ..." commands are used from Publisher?

What I really want is "Edit in Photo/Designer/Publisher" opening the application and when the editing is done have a "Return to Designer/Publisher/Photo" option as well as a Save As...

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff
1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, Patrick. Do you know if we will see "Edit in Publisher" added to Designer and Photo, to enable smooth round-trip processing when the "Edit in ..." commands are used from Publisher?

I don't know, but it seems odd to me that they aren't there in the beta, certainly for Designer. We still need a page selector in both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer so multipage documents are managable in the other two as round tripping may add further pages.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 minute ago, Patrick Connor said:

I don't know, but it seems odd to me that they aren't there in the beta, certainly for Designer. We still need a page selector in both Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer so multipage documents are managable in the other two as round tripping may add further pages.

Thanks.

I was sort of hoping that an "Edit in Photo" for a multi-page document would end up with Photo showing multiple Artboards (much as one gets when opening all pages of a PDF in Photo. As it is, though, Photo just sees the current page when "Edit in Photo" is selected. Which is OK, I suppose. Or would be if there was an easy back to Publisher without having to save the document. (And having to save seems especially odd given that one might have started with a new/unnamed document in Publisher, and might not want it saved yet.)

-- Walt
PC:

31 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I was sort of hoping that an "Edit in Photo" for a multi-page document would end up with Photo showing multiple Artboards

It was explained early in the beta process that there are two types of documents now: artboard-based (Photo) and spread-based (Publisher) which all three applications will be able to open, though possibly not create.  Spread-based documents will not support artboards and artboard-based documents will not support multiple pages.

The impression I got, though not really spelled out, was that Photo will only create artboard-based documents, Publisher will only create spread-based documents, and Designer will have the option of creating either one.  I could be mistaken, but that is how I interpreted what was being said by the Serif team early on.

• 3 months later...

The artboard/page would be the logical common compositional unit. Spreads in Publisher should simply be thought of as grouped artboards/pages. If spreads are brought into either Designer or Photo, perhaps there could be an option to bring them in as either grouped or individual artboards/pages.

The concept of grouped artboard/pages is also the solution to building foldout pages for books and magazines in Publisher.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.