You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Latest Beta Download OF Infinity Publisher

What happens when you try, and what OS are you using?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just downloaded the latest beta of Affinity Publisher, still keen on finding the best ever dtp software beyond the remits of adobe or quark stuff. I should say in advance, probably, that I have been doing pre-print work with Aldus/Adobe PageMaker since 1992 quite satisfactorily. The only problem was this program's acquisition in 1995 by adobe leading' to its run-down. I'm still using PageMaker 7 on Windows and comparisons with it will be the basic of everything I might be able to contribute to the development of Affinity Publisher. I have recognized during the years that a lot of features (down to details of the user interface and the handling of processes) of different versions of Serif PagePro were identical to PageMaker, making them, in my view, a clandestine sibling of PageMaker but not worth of acquiring as long as the "original" was still working. So a first impression of this Beta version of Affinity Publisher leads me to the conclusion that many tasks have been much easier and equally effective to achieve in that "old" software than in this modern version. It is, put simply, overloaded. Nonetheless I'll continue to try to rebuild some things I did with PageMaker and let you know of my experiences. I've got some faith in the ability of Affinity Publisher. Somehow it is on the right way.

@Martin Hutter

Affinity has to move forward not backward. You are using PageMaker 7 which is now a decade old but is an excellent tool even today. Since 2008 the DTP market changed  dramatically which makes it hard to keep up.

Because I started DTP in 1991 with Quark Xpress, I also keep comparing with Quark. This is only human I think. However we all need to evolve to the latest innovations and keep up. Despite there is nothing wrong with working with PageMaker 7, it means basically standing still while the world around you moves fast. I myself are using RagTime, a document processor since 1994. I can still remember that when I started with RagTime (the company I started working for used RagTime), there was nothing good with it. Quark was so much better. However I kept hanging on and succeeded in creating great documents with it. Even today, I am still using Ragtime together with Affinity Designer and Photo and soon Publisher. RagTime is still unique in its own right but it is aging fast, the same with PageMaker 7.

We both have to adapt to new ways of working and our experiences builded up during the years will help us with that. Does that mean we have to give up the softwares we know best? Probably over time, but for now, we can just keep using them for projects we believe they are best or better. That also means the change is less abrupt and we can adapt more easily.

Since the end of Augustus when Publisher beta became available, I am learning to master it. I know Designer (Photo lesser) and find my way around it. When used to Designer, it is much easier to find your way in Publisher. If you have difficulty with Publisher, maybe it is easier to start with Designer.

What is keeping you from sharing your insights in DTP here on this  forum? It is always interesting reading about how other people do their work or learning about different insights.You can specify what you liked in PageMaker and how it could help Affinity Publisher. It is possible the Affinity development team pick some things up they find usefull, who knows? You will also receive feedback on your ideas from other people, which is invaluable.

I wish you very much success and fun exploring Affinity Publisher.

Chris

I just downloaded the Affinity publisher beta windows version 1.7.0 off the website & onto my new Dell G7 laptop with windows 10 home edition.  when the *.exe file was activated for installation, my pointer just spun for 3 seconds and then stopped.   I also tried to install using administrator.....I get the same thing.    Any solutions?