You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inserting Page numbers

1 hour ago, Roy Stedall-Humphryes said:

Thanks heibu.......but I have done that but it's still manual, it should be automatic or at least semi-automatic

You get automatic page numbering by putting a page number field on a Master Page and applying that Master to your pages (or specifying the Master when creating new pages).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks heibu.......but I have done that but it's still manual, it should be automatic or at least semi-automatic

I think you are having the same problem I have been experiencing.  I have watched the video several times, and still cannot quite figure out how to get page number 2 to show up on a master page spread where it belongs.  The video shows it being placed on the left side of the spread.  How the demonstrator then gets 1 to show up on the right I cannot figure out.  I have tried the Option+drag operation several times, and fail.    I have, so far, resorted to making a master page spread and saving it as a template, with little text blocks where I will then insert new text blocks and page numbers on document pages.    Eventually I am bound to figure out how this works.   I rather wish that we could have place names (such as LN and RN) to go on master pages, and then the option of “start numbering with...” or something similar with the document pages.  Then again, we probably already do.   Still,  Publisher is already first rate in my book.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

3 minutes ago, Roy Stedall-Humphryes said:

By the way, does anyone have any idea how much Affinity full Publisher will cost when it's up and running

The best guess is that it will be comparable to the price for Affinity Designer and Photo.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, Roy Stedall-Humphryes said:

I have done exactly has Walt illustrated and it works and again thanks to all.

Ah ha!   Flounder time at the Wellborns!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

Flounders! .... I don't mind if I do... in English waters these are flat fish and Delicious when lightly fried.  As I have already said, I've worked it out, no problem. Otherwise, Publisher seems to work just fine except for the importing word docx problem which everybody knows about.

Flounders! .... I don't mind if I do... in English waters these are flat fish and Delicious when lightly fried.  As I have already said, I've worked it out, no problem. Otherwise, Publisher seems to work just fine except for the importing word docx problem which everybody knows about.

I am now a flattened flounder.  I still cannot get pagination to work correctly from a master spread sheet to a document starting with a right-hand page and then continuing with subsequent left-right spreads.  Maybe I am just an old goat.   The tutorial shows a master spread, starting with page 2, and then alt-dragging that text box over to the right where the numbering automatically continues.    Even if I try by not numbering page 1 (single right-hand page) the following spreads are numbered incorrectly i.e. 2-4, 4-6, 6-8 instead of 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, etc.   So it is back to the drawing boards, or maybe I need to change my fish food or hay.  (goats don’t eat hay.)

Oh THERE is the problem.   One places page number 1 on the left side of the master pages spread (which is actually going to be page 2) then Alt-drags over to the right side (which is actually going to be page 3) and inserts Text>Insert>next page number which becomes page 2.  Then in the document pages the first, single right hand page becomes 1, and the first spread becomes 2-3.     At least it did once.  Clear as a bell.  Ding-dong-bell.   This flounder has been  thoroughly confused by the sea nymphs hourly ringing (her) knell.  (The Tempest.)

It's 10.22 pm and just arrived back from a beach-side restaurant were we had BBQed Sardines... fantasic! Sorry to hear you're still having trouble with page numbers...I still refer you to walt.farrell ..I formatted a single master page and copied it- ALT and moving it down and again to make a spread, otherwise I cannot suggest much else because it now works for me as he suggests. Best of luck.

29 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Oh THERE is the problem.   One places page number 1 on the left side of the master pages spread (which is actually going to be page 2) then Alt-drags over to the right side (which is actually going to be page 3) and inserts Text>Insert>next page number which becomes page 2.  Then in the document pages the first, single right hand page becomes 1, and the first spread becomes 2-3.     At least it did once.  Clear as a bell.  Ding-dong-bell.   This flounder has been  thoroughly confused by the sea nymphs hourly ringing (her) knell.  (The Tempest.)

Next Page is literally the next page or the following page. Page Number is the page number of the current page, the one time it worked for you was probably you using Page Number both times.

I would like to know why I would need to know the next page's number and not the current page number, it seems to be a solution in search of a problem.  I would much rather have Continued On... and From... page markers.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 9/28/2018 at 9:52 PM, Old Bruce said:

Next Page is literally the next page or the following page. Page Number is the page number of the current page, the one time it worked for you was probably you using Page Number both times.

I would like to know why I would need to know the next page's number and not the current page number, it seems to be a solution in search of a problem.  I would much rather have Continued On... and From... page markers.

I think Next Page is getting it wrong. I've logged for it to be fixed.