You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush File association default (.abr) Pictogram & opening app changed

File_Associations.jpeg.421c073f5651af0d77459baf15e99a55.jpeg

Ever since using Publisher, the default brush file pictogram in Finder & its
default "opening" app has changed from Photo to Publisher.
I import the .abr brushes in Photo.
This has happened for the majority of the .abr files, albeit not for all, as the pic shows...
Not my doing & of course I can change it back to Photo, but :
Just wondering why this has happened and has it happened to anyone else ?:/ 

2 hours ago, catlover said:

Just wondering why this has happened and has it happened to anyone else ?

I just checked & for me all of the .abr brush files on my Mac are now set to default to opening in Publisher. A little snooping around in the app bundles' "info.plist" files shows that all 3 Affinity (plus one other) app declare that they can open files with the .abr extension.

So my guess is since I never set the default for any of my .abr files, the Mac OS is just using the declaration from the most recently installed app, which of course is Affinity Publisher. For you, you may have set your autumnveins.abr file to open in Photo, which would explain the difference.

BTW, with the APub default, double-clicking on one of mine does open that app & I get a notice that the raster brushes it contains have been added to APub, & the ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher Beta/user/raster_brushes.propcol file's Modified date & file size is updated, but of course they are not currently usable in the app. To reset that propcol file to its original size I went the 'old school' route of quitting the app & deleting the file from that location, but I suppose the same thing could be done via the Preferences > Miscellaneous > Rest Brushes button.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

RC_R : Thanks & Sorry for the delay in replying. 
1. I imported the Broken tails.abr file into Photo, brushes worked OK.
2. Then I checked out the propcol file you named, neither date, nor size had been updated.
3. Checked the icons in Finder, still Publisher icons.

Now it gets really weird :
4. Set the default "open with" app for ALL abr files to Photo.
5. Checked whether this had been done : YES, all abr's to Photo.
6. Restarted.
7. Lo and Behold : the file that used to have the Photo icon  (Autumn veins.abr see pic in original post)
now has the Publisher Icon in Finder ((Autumn veins.abr see pic in this post)....

It has me baffled.

file-associations2.thumb.png.53fa29b1703993069b05df70e16c9300.png

The files open default & work OK in Photo, but the icons still point to Publisher.
BTW : I did NOT delete the Publisher  propcol file - can I just do that without dire consequences ??
I have put this post in the bugs section, hoping that someone in dev reads it.

10 hours ago, catlover said:

The files open default & work OK in Photo, but the icons still point to Publisher.

I saw the same thing, but I think that is just because Finder is being lazy about updating the icons. Several hours after my first check, all my *.abr files properly began showing the Photo icon. Quitting & relaunching Finder probably would have done that, too.

10 hours ago, catlover said:

BTW : I did NOT delete the Publisher  propcol file - can I just do that without dire consequences ??

No guarantees but it worked without issues for me. I did make a backup copy just in case, & made sure Affinity Publisher was not running at the time, but otherwise I did not do anything special.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7