You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening HEIC format in Aff. Photo 1.6.7 Mac

Aff. Photo v1.6.7 apparently allows to open .HEIC files. Strangely enough some can be opened and others not. I cannot see why anything in these files would be different.

This makes me wonder:

- is Aff. Photo for Mac v1.6.7 supporting HEIC for 100%?

- what could be the reason some of these HEIC are not recognized and the following message is shown: "Failed to open file. This file type is not supported."

Thanks for your help!

file_recognized.HEIC

file_not_recognized.HEIC

• Staff

Hi @Felicia,

Welcome to the forums. 

We do not support HEIC on the desktop builds. Have a look at this workaround:

On 7/2/2018 at 11:00 AM, MEB said:

Hi JDub,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
The desktop versions of Affinity Designer and Photo still cannot open HEIC/F files directly. One way you can work around this is to add the HEIC file to Apple Photos, then go to menu Image ▸ Edit With ▸ Affinity Photo (the file will be sent as a TIFF for editing in Photo) or  alternatively (still in Apple Photos with the HEIF file selected) go to menu File ▸ Export ▸ Export 1 Photo... and select the format you want. You can then open the exported file directly from Affinity.

Thanks,

Gabe. 

• 1 year later...
36 minutes ago, SanMiguel said:

My Windows 10 version 1.7.3 says: Failed to open, the filetype is not supported.

What version of Windows 10 are you using? Recent versions should have HEIF support already installed, but older ones may need you to install an additional package, as mentioned here:https://www.windowscentral.com/how-open-heic-and-hevc-files-windows-10s-photos-app

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What version of Windows 10 are you using? Recent versions should have HEIF support already installed, but older ones may need you to install an additional package, as mentioned here:https://www.windowscentral.com/how-open-heic-and-hevc-files-windows-10s-photos-app

Sorry for being imprecise: On my Windows 10 Pro version 1903 build 19025.1051 I am using Affinity Photo version 1.7.3.481. When I try to open an heic file in Affinity Photo it says: Failed to open file, the file type is not supported.

I know that Windows supports this format, but this was not what I am asking for. I would like to know when Affinity Photo supports this file format and I can stop to use 3rd party tools for conversion?

4 minutes ago, SanMiguel said:

I know that Windows supports this format, but this was not what I am asking for. I would like to know when Affinity Photo supports this file format and I can stop to use 3rd party tools for conversion?

My impression has been that Affinity Photo on Windows already supports HEIC, but that it is dependent on some Windows support, too. And, for example, I can open the single-image examples from https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=32568 using either version 1.7.3 or the 1.8 beta of Affinity Photo.

If your version of Windows can open those, but your version of Affinity Photo can't, then something is wrong. If your version of Photo can open those, but not the files you're trying to open, then perhaps you have one of the HEIF formats that is not supported yet. HEIF is not a single format, from what I've seen, but a family of formats.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

My impression has been that Affinity Photo on Windows already supports HEIC, but that it is dependent on some Windows support, too. And, for example, I can open the single-image examples from https://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?t=32568 using either version 1.7.3 or the 1.8 beta of Affinity Photo.

If your version of Windows can open those, but your version of Affinity Photo can't, then something is wrong. If your version of Photo can open those, but not the files you're trying to open, then perhaps you have one of the HEIF formats that is not supported yet. HEIF is not a single format, from what I've seen, but a family of formats.

I can confirm that both, my Windows photo viewer and Affinity Photo can open a test picture 'autumn_1440x960.heic' I downloaded from your examples page.

But Affinity Photo cannot open the heic photos my iPhone created. Is that a know issue?

4 minutes ago, SanMiguel said:

I can confirm that both, my Windows photo viewer and Affinity Photo can open a test picture 'autumn_1440x960.heic' I downloaded from your examples page.

But Affinity Photo cannot open the heic photos my iPhone created. Is that a know issue?

I'm not sure if it's known, or not. Please provide a sample file from your iPhone.

-- Walt
PC:

Hi Walt, sorry for answering late, but got some friends visiting us yesterday...

As I figured out today, I only have these issues on my Surface, on my desktop it's working fine and I can open all my heic photos. Therefore I decided to re-install Affinity Photo on my tablet and what shall I say, its working perfectly fine now.

Thank you for your patience and Help,

Michael

You're welcome, Michael. I'm surprised that a reinstall of Photo helped, but I'm glad it's fixed.

-- Walt
PC: