´´E

But the resulting character should be :

É

The correct result is only possible with "alt" +
(numeric keyboard) "0201".

Edited by Thomas-B

Dear Affinity developers,

Similar issues but not identical with Belgium French Azerty keyboard:

Alt Gr + µ should produce one `   but writes two `  (called accent grave in French)
Same issue with Alt Gr + ù   : two  ´  (called accent aigu in French)
Same issue with Alt Gr + =   : two  ~  (called tilde in Spanish)

In essence these three accents allow a "special behaviour"
You type first say   ´  then one of   a  e   i   o  u  vowels, you should get a combined character á  é  í  ó  ú 
This is like ¨  (umlaut in German - tréma in French) that should generate for instance ü or ö or ï

Alt Gr + e produces with Affinity the € sign, this is OK
\  [   ]  {   }   @  #  are also OK

In addition, I think you need to allow ASAP other languages in the spelling checkers options, say in the next beta (the user interface might remain in English for a while). It is key to be able to test local special characters, hyphenation and cursor behaviour. A minimal set of say 5 languages might help to test many of these requirements, say French, German, Hebrew, Arabic and Japanese. What you type should be the same on Affinity screens and subsequently on print-outs.

Regards, Philippe

Please find in attachment an afpub, a docx and a RTF file file.

In the Afficnity file, the first section is an RTF import of a doc document. It is OK, what you see in Word is correctly imported in an Affinity text frame.

The second section tries to replicate the same characters entry with Affinity. It goes wrong and the result unusable in French. Some words are impossible to type with Affinity, while using the keys shown on a keyboard.  Cmmon word like corn (maïs), selfish (égoïste) cannot be produced simply.

For most languages, I do not think that using ALT + and hexa decimal value is acceptable for characters that are part of the correct spelling of words, as found in printed dictionnaries. Of course, symbols are another story.

Affinity accents.afpub

Affinity accents.docx

Affinity accents.rtf

• 5 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.