You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Find and Replace #133

Hi there,

In long documents with a lot of text: »Find and Replace« seems to be ok, but »Find and Replace ALL« takes too long | iMac mid 2010 Mac OS 10.13.4

Best regards

Puck

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

Just a comment: From the text that you're replacing, it appears that you have imported some text into Publisher that was not encoded as UTF-8. That would give you those strange character combinations.

I'm curious where the text came from, and how you got it into Publisher. It may be a good idea to look at your workflow and convert the text before importing it, so it goes into Publisher properly. But without knowing what you did originally we can't really say for sure.

(I have commented in another topic that I believe Publisher has some flaws in how it determines character encoding when importing text.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 hours ago, walt.farrell said:
23 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

... it appears that you have imported some text into Publisher that was not encoded as UTF-8

Dear Walt, it is dummy text from the Internet. Whether UTF-8 encoded or not, Publisher should be able to change certain groups of letters in a reasonable amount of time. Any normal word processor (Mellel, TextEdit, Word, Pages etc.) can do this ten times faster. Of course, you can format the dummy text (text file) so that Publisher can do it faster. But this is a beta test, so you shouldn't make it too easy for the program, should you?

Best regards

Puck

PS. Don't misunderstand: This is not a criticism of the program, it is a hint for improvement. I am sure that the final version of the program will work fine!

:)

iMac 2017, 16 GB RAM, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB, MacOS Ventura 13.6.6 (22G630) - Affinity V2-Universallizenz 

I understand that you like the Find/Replace to work faster. And if it's really for then I agree with you.

I was simply pointing out a way you could avoid having to do that set of Find/Replace operations at all, and mentioning that I think Publisher's handling of text import could use some improvement.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hey Puck,

It took a while on my machine as well. I then did an Undo and the app just grind to a halt. After it recovered, I did a Redo and my screen started flashing and the pages were dancing around. I think there's definitely an improvement to be made.

I think Walt has a point but I also think that at any point in which the app becomes unresponsive like this, there is some justification in asking the developers to look at it. I'll pass this on to them.

Hello Chris, thanks for your feedback.

That's what a beta test is for :) I'm really glad that I could help.

Puck

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.