Well I eventually stumbled upon this while trying to find "line spacing", so my comment is for anyone else looking for that phrase.

When using Word I almost invariably end up selecting "No Spacing" for my text, to avoid the big gaps each time I hit "return". If I WANT a bigger gap for a paragraph I just hit return twice. 

Been doing that for more than 15 years and my clients seem happy, but this rather clunky layout does mean there's no real possibility of AP replacing Word for me, which is a shame as I was rather hoping I could.

3 hours ago, AlanPC said:

When using Word I almost invariably end up selecting "No Spacing" for my text, to avoid the big gaps each time I hit "return". If I WANT a bigger gap for a paragraph I just hit return twice.

For reasonably professional results, I cannot recommend this approach. This way you cannot structure your document in a differentiated way. In addition, you will get into trouble when using formats (in Affinity: "Text Styles"). For example, when creating tables of contents.

My Specs:
- Processor: AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Processor 3.20 GHz- RAM: 8 GB
- Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
- Monitor: SyncMaster F2380 (resolution 1920x1080)
- Operating system: Windows 10 Pro (1803) / 64 bit

I'm not trying to structure a document; I'm doing desktop publishing. Arguably the same thing but not entirely, as I'm talking about having control over the layout.

Sure, text styles, headers, H1 all that, fantastic stuff, for websites, books, even magazines, but most of the time I'm doing PDF reports of between 3 to 7 pages, and being able to choose how the darn thing looks and prints is far more important to me than being "correct".

The "no spacing" command in Word is a fantastic way of clearing all formatting and putting whatever text you have into the document's default font and size, without big gaps or anything else. 

It's no biggie, just means I'll still be using Word for my writing, and then pasting into Pageplus or Affinity, instead of being able to use either of them for that task. Classic example, though for my own use, not work, decided to recreate my daily schedule sheet. It's just a sheet I print out each day and fill in, with various little sections. I gave up trying to fit everything onto the page with Affinity and just did it in Word, then pasted it. That was a lot easier than trying to figure out how to do it in Affinity.

5 hours ago, AlanPC said:

When using Word I almost invariably end up selecting "No Spacing" for my text, to avoid the big gaps each time I hit "return". If I WANT a bigger gap for a paragraph I just hit return twice

Why are you hitting return so often? Even in Word that's supposed to be used only at the end of a paragraph.

If you're trying to force a line break but stay within the same paragraph you should be using something else, like shift-return.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.240 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.240 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.238 Beta

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Why are you hitting return so often? Even in Word that's supposed to be used only at the end of a paragraph.

If you're trying to force a line break but stay within the same paragraph you should be using something else, like shift-return.

1 hour ago, AlanPC said:

I'm old :)

(think about it)

Every now and then my left hand reaches up search for the carriage return bar. 

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) Mac OS 10.12.6 || Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 10.12.6

Affinity Designer 1.6.1 | Affinity Photo 1.6.7 | Affinity Publisher beta 1.7.0.238 | Affinity Photo beta 1.7.0.110 | Affinity Designer Beta 1.7.0.4

Indeed ;)

In fact I was lucky enough to learn to type on a Canon "word processor", which had a little blue LCD screen so you could see about 6 lines of text. You could (slowly) scroll up and down and when happy, hit "print".

When that wasn't working, or someone else was using it, which was frequent, i'd use a manual machine, which hard a hard return bar. There was none of this "hold some key down and the bar does something different" stuff; you either hit that thing and made a space, or you didn't.

The greatest thing I hate and despise about Wordpress is that "Oh, you hit return? BLOING! Here's a HUUGE space!" 

Sorry but I'm too old to change where this is concerned. I hit return, I want ONE space. I don't want 1.5 or 1.25 or 2.25 or anything except 1.0. If I wanted 1.5 spaces I'd hit it the return key 1.5 times...

But to get back to your original point, Publisher also has options to help you. Paragraph styles can specify the spacing before paragraphs, and when that spacing is applied. You will need to assign a paragraph style to your text frame, and make sure the style has the options set correctly. You'll find two options in the Paragraph Panel, one for "Space before paragraph" that lets you specify the desired spacing, and another one that's a pulldown to control when the spacing is applied. The default for the latter is "Only between paragraphs" but you might try "Only at column top" instead.
Hmm. Actually, only at column top doesn't work as I expected. But "Ignore space for same styles" seems to accomplish what I think you want.

image.png.ef6b53b6f8c2c10a70f0240d54d24d14.png

If you edit a text style, you'll find that in the Paragraph Spacing part of the edit-style dialog.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1809, 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz
Affinity Photo 1.6.5.123 and 1.7.0.240 Beta
Affinity Designer 1.6..5.123 and 1.7.0.240 Beta
Affinity Publisher 1.7.0.238 Beta

Hi AlanPC,

Well I'm old (74 in fact) but that doesn't stop me finding how to do similar things in different programmes.  You have suggested that you might well stick with Word and set your line spacing to 'No Spacing' and that you generally only output a few pages of PDF.  Walt has suggested a way which gives you total control over everything in a a paragraph style, but maybe you want to try something a little simpler first.  
If you start by drawing out a text box, then you can move the mouse pointer  up to this point on  the selection bar and you will see the mouse hint 'Paragraph Leading' appear. 217386431_Affinityparagraghspacing2.PNG.6a1ebd9b50419628bb542a18565d1287.PNG 
If you click on this down arrow, you can then set the paragraph leading to the same height (in points) that your text height is and then your text will have no gaps between lines (equivalent to Word's No Spacing).  However, hitting 'Enter' will give you a gap between paragraphs equivalent to the height of your text characters, and if you want to change that, you will have to use the controls in the Paragraph Panel to adjust that.  It really is worth spending a few minutes experimenting with the Paragraph Panel to achieve exactly the output you require as in my example below which I use a lot in Family Trees, which can be up to 50 pages long!1345081445_Affinityparagraghspacing.PNG.387ad56476678e4163da93f28acc6e0f.PNG

Good luck - I know I won't be going back to Word (or in my case the free Libre Office) when I want the complete control over the output that Affinity Publisher gives me [and remember this is still in Beta so further improvements are very likely

Ian Price

Aha! The "ignore space for some styles" thing seems to do the trick! :D

Thank you both, Ian and Walt, for your help.

I prefer to reduce my reliance on Word if possible and this helps. My main PC remains Windows 7 and for my laptop I removed Windows 10 and installed Linux Mint. If I have to learn something new then I'll learn something without the bullying business methods and spying of Microsoft. Sadly it looks like there will never be a Linux version of Affinity, but hey, Wine is a thing...

A.