You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

image placement and master slide components

Hello, and thank you for all the great work you you're doing with affinity family of products :)

I've been trying to create a documents, basically a presentation with full page images and a footer text that is placed over the image.

I can create the master slide with a picture frame and text and a receptacle that should overlay my image (attached image), but when i create pages based on this master page i cannot load images to the frame in the background. Instead it cover all the page along with the components from master page.

I also tried starting with an empty page, inserting a picture frame tool, inserting my image and the applying the master page to it, but i have the same problem as the master page components remain in the back.

Am I doing something wrong? I really want to leave ID asap, this will make a great difference.

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 13.49.34.png

Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 13.44.12.png

• 2 weeks later...

Personal opinion: At this point in the evolution of Publisher you should not put picture frames or text frames on a Master Page if you intend to change their content on the document pages they're applied to.

Rather, you should draw Guides on the Master and then place the frames manually on the document pages using those Guides, as shown in the Master Page video. You might also find it beneficial to put your frames into the Assets panel to facilitate reuse, by dragging them onto the Guides.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

30 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Personal opinion: At this point in the evolution of Publisher you should not put picture frames or text frames on a Master Page if you intend to change their content on the document pages they're applied to.

Rather, you should draw Guides on the Master and then place the frames manually on the document pages using those Guides, as shown in the Master Page video. You might also find it beneficial to put your frames into the Assets panel to facilitate reuse, by dragging them onto the Guides.

Thank you for your reply,

it is completely comprehensible that this function is not active/ available at this stage, wishful thinking of me :) 

also to make sure i didn't miss it. It would make a huge difference in our workflow.

have a nice day

31 minutes ago, Kroco said:

The point is to be able to change the size or position of the frame on the master and that will change on all the pages.

Yes, that would be ideal, and what many of us would like.

That is not possible today, easily and/or reliably, with Master Page frames that are intended to hold unique data on the document pages. Various people have shown complex approaches to making it work (sort of, for some situations) with the current implementation, but in my opinion they're risky and can easily break or cause other issues.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1