You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Number of layers managed by Affinity Photo on Ipad Pro

Hello to all!

I've got an iPad Pro 10,5" (iOS 12) with the Apple Pencil and I'm going to interest deeply in this app, that seems to be a very complete app that works as Photoshop on my PC (and to use in pair with it switching between the two software with the same PSD file).

Unfortunately in the App Store there are a lot of negative comments reporting crashes, works not saved and other issues. However I read that those comments was posted a few time ago, so (before to purchase it) I'm wondering how is the current situation with this software after have been updated. Is it reliable for professional illustration work? Or do it risk to make me to waste working time?

Another very important question is: how many layers Affinity Photo can mange in a file? Some apps like Procreate have limits on the number of layers based on the canvas size, while other apps (like Medi Bang) seems to be much much more generous, allowing to import PSD files with a lot of layers correctly. How is the situation with Affinity Photo?

Thanks for the kind attention!

As a user of both Photo and Designer (iOS), I have found the latest releases to be very stable. Having said that, like all things computer, it pays to save changes regularly to ensure that if there is some sort of crash, you will still be able to fall back to a recent copy. I don't usually deal with huge files so that may be a factor causing issues for some people. Also, there are still a few frustrating 'bugs' that Serif need to work out (e.g.selecting objects with Apple Pencil to move them often results in transforming them, but zooming in on the object usually fixes this). Serif will get there eventually.

All in all it’s a reasonably small investment and well worth trying. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thank you DM1 for your reply. Given your experience I'll give a try to this app for sure! also because as far as I know is the only one on iPad that can manage the CMYK color mode (I work for printed stuff)….

About to save often the work is a good habit for sure, although some apps (like Procreate) saves automatically when accidentally crashes. Or at least, when this happen and then I open it to back to work I find my file exactly as I left when the app crashes. I have no idea how this works, but should be helpful to implement such feature also in Affinity Photo.

Affinity Photo also has this 'auto save' feature you mention and you can set the interval in Setup to as low as every minute if you wish. I just like to have a seperate  'backup' file that is stored outside of the apps 'sandbox'. I come from a pc/Microsoft background where crashes were frequent, so I am extra cautious. Apple is refreshingly stable. No 'blue screen of death' scenarios. :D

Affinity Spotlight also has some good articles relating to Photo and Designer on iPad. Sample here: https://affinityspotlight.com/article/eastern-masters-skin-retouching-with-mark-ivkovic/

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 years later...

Maybe in the next upgrade it will be able to handle 8,000 layers. For now, it is crashing off of less than 150 layers with no settings turned on, and I am on a top of the line MacBook Pro with all my memory streamlined, and a massive hard drive slaved to it. MAKE SURE YOU PURCHASE ALL YOUR APPS ON THE SAME EMAIL or you will be in a double nightmare on the new 10 upgrade. I am told this cannot be fixed. What does that really mean? Will it even work right if I delete the one app purchased on the wrong email and buy it all over again? If so, how do I get that synced to my iPad when that app identifies me based on my Apple ID email. There seem to be many oversights regarding this 10 upgrade, which seems like a rough move to happen around the same time the software got restored to its standard pricing.