You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move tool / node tool not work correctly

I have designer for the iPad. When I use my Apple pencil and try to select/tap objects neither tool works correctly I think. I have to "drag" with my move tool to select object and then select the node tool in order to select nodes. Neither of them work by tapping the object. Is this how it works or am I doing something wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

could you find an answer to this issue ? I think I have the same problem : when I want to use the move tool, I have to drag the arrow over the object to select it instead of being able to tap on it. But this happens only on a particular document. When I’m working on any other document (new or not) the move tool works as expected (meaning I can tap to select an object).

So I thought maybe this can come from a setting that I activated without knowing  ?

@GabrielM

We have more at least 2 topics mentioning this issue and after more than 5 months, nothing was done about it. It’s quite frustrating and many people including me are not using the app due to this issue that makes it impossible to work seriously on it.

Please moderators, don’t abandon the community of supporters.

@fabiogil The Mods ARE logging these issues with the app developers. The developers are simply very very slow in providing solutions or even progress reports. A major release before years end would be a nice surprise. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

I don't know if it can help you, but I finally figured out what was "wrong" with my document. I had the artboard I was working on locked. Once I unlocked it, I could use the move tool in the "tap to select" way again. And every time I have the artboard locked, I have to drag the arrow to select my objects.

• 6 months later...
On 11/29/2018 at 6:27 PM, Vickoche said:

I don't know if it can help you, but I finally figured out what was "wrong" with my document. I had the artboard I was working on locked. Once I unlocked it, I could use the move tool in the "tap to select" way again. And every time I have the artboard locked, I have to drag the arrow to select my objects.

Thank you!! This was the problem I was having. I am very new, and there was nothing I could do to fix the issue. This was the solution to my problem. I greatly appreciate you helping out here and giving an answer and solution.

Has there been any discussion of an update for Designer for iPad? The move/node tool issues are significant, and it’s getting worse, not better. Tonight, I had to quit and restart the app several times, as the snapping stopped working, then the move and node editing tools stopped functioning. And it’s still attempting to render a close up visual when I use a second finger on the screen, which doesn’t work with the Apple Pencil. I love these apps, but they’ve become almost unusable, and there’s been no updates for some time. 

9 hours ago, ciavyn said:

Has there been any discussion of an update for Designer for iPad?

AD and AP are both currently undergoing beta testing. Lots of fixes and improvements. Shouldn’t be too much longer. :)

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm trying to multi select objects using the node tool but it's just not working. I happen to have some of these objects in different layers but they are all unlocked and the artboard isn't locked, very frustrating. This is of no use to me if this is a bug and not simply me doing something wrong!

It seems to be only a problem when objects are arranged in groups/layers of groups?

edit: Actually I don't think I know where to start with some of the annoying possible bugs or stupid ways of doing things I'm coming across today.. 

20 hours ago, awakenedbyowls said:

I'm trying to multi select objects using the node tool but it's just not working. I happen to have some of these objects in different layers but they are all unlocked and the artboard isn't locked, very frustrating. This is of no use to me if this is a bug and not simply me doing something wrong!

It seems to be only a problem when objects are arranged in groups/layers of groups?

edit: Actually I don't think I know where to start with some of the annoying possible bugs or stupid ways of doing things I'm coming across today.. 

Try turning on Edit All Layers in the hamburger icon in the layers studio.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

18 minutes ago, Paul Mudditt said:

Try turning on Edit All Layers in the hamburger icon in the layers studio.

Took me a while to find that, but it's not having any effect whether or not it's selected or not. I still can't multi-select anything with the node tool.

I thought maybe it was something to do with shift and I needed to hold that - but no on another layer it appears to work regardless of whether I have Edit All Layers selected. On this particular design though it won't allow me to select anything other than directly through the layers panel. Incidentally, it was on a design I had issues using the Boolean operation on a part of it - adding curves that I had already created using Booleans. I have tried deleted certain parts of that and still I am unable to multi-select with the node tool..

• 2 weeks later...

Still a mystery why the node tool won't select objects. If I select an object within a group it selects the whole group. If I click and drag a rectangle round the objects I want to select nothing happens. If I click on an object within a group in the layers panel it allows me to select any other individual object with the mouse but then I can't click and drag to select multiple objects within that group.

Seriously, why isn't this working right?

If this is the limit of functionality of the node tool then that's just garbage and needs to be fixed pronto.

12 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

Still a mystery why the node tool won't select objects.

Why do you expect the Node Tool to select objects? As its name suggests, its primary purpose is to select nodes.

Go to the Layers Studio, expand a group of vector objects and select two or more of those objects. You should then see the nodes of the selected objects on the canvas, where you can marquee-select the nodes you want to edit.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

18 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Why do you expect the Node Tool to select objects? As its name suggests, its primary purpose is to select nodes.

Go to the Layers Studio, expand a group of vector objects and select two or more of those objects. You should then see the nodes of the selected objects on the canvas, where you can marquee-select the nodes you want to edit.

I expect it to select all the nodes within the rectangle I draw that aren't locked. If all those nodes correspond to whole objects then I expect it to select the whole object.

But it's not selecting anything. It won't even select a single node unless I'm also selecting other nodes within the group at the time. 

What is the point in being able to lock things if it won't select them anyway?

Yes I know how to select objects within the layers panel. Sometimes though, I also like the convenience of being able to select them with the node tool. 

I fail to see why expecting this kind of basic functionality is somehow unreasonable to you.

So let's say I have objects arranged in groups and I want to move them around. I have to select each one individually within the layer panel before I can move them?

If I select the Move Tool and try to click on individual objects within a group it just selects and moves the whole group!

I only have the functionality of clicking and dragging objects around if first select a layer with a specific group?

Seriously, if there isn't a way to do this that I'm missing then that's very poor...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just hitting walls with this software again and again.

I've got an object which comprises several independent shapes lumped together. I duplicated the layer and want to delete some of the shapes within it. But when I select the node tool and drag the marquee over it - nothing! It's now one object so can't select each object individually in the layers panel. It won't even let me select individual nodes by clicking on them.

..unless (as I just worked out) if I switch to Outline View Mode then it works just fine.

Why can I only do this in Outline View Mode?

It works in normal mode when I create a simple artboard with a few shapes, but on this file or more complicated designs it doesn't seem to work!

affin.JPG