You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

But is this only in the East Asian version? I don't remember this feature in the English version.

Paolo

Yes, you need to have Japanese (aka East Asian) functionality active in order for the vertical text layout controls to be exposed. An article that I published on Medium a couple of years ago explains how to activate this. I referenced this article in an earlier post to this thread.

13 minutes ago, lunde said:

Yes, you need to have Japanese (aka East Asian) functionality active in order for the vertical text layout controls to be exposed.

I see. So, what we call the "Japanese version" of InDesign is nothing more than the regular version, with these options enabled and the Japanese UI?

Paolo

6 minutes ago, PaoloT said:

I see. So, what we call the "Japanese version" of InDesign is nothing more than the regular version, with these options enabled and the Japanese UI?

Paolo

Yes, but you can keep the English (or whatever language) UI. Activating Japanese functionality is separate from the UI language. You are not forced to use a Japanese UI.

I am playing with VivaDesigner at the moment, and have some initial observations.

On the plus side, it supports combining jamo via the 'ljmo', 'vjmo', and 'tjmo' features.

On the negative side, it appears to support only BMP (Basic Multilingual Plane) code points. More than half of the characters in the Unicode Standard are outside of the BMP, so this is a real issue.

• 5 months later...

Hallo.

I'm always indebted to "Affinity". Thanks to the intuitive use and the detailed explanatory videos, it is very comfortable to use.

In particular, "Affinity Publisher" has two regrets.
The first is that the Japanese dictionary used in preflight is not supported.

The second is that it does not support vertical writing in Japanese.
Although the number of horizontal sentences has increased, vertical writing is an important element of the Japanese language.
Even if you have a preflight function, if you do not support Japanese, I can not recommend the merits of "Affinity Publisher" to my friends with confidence.

If possible, I would be happy if it was standard equipment. However, if it is difficult to install it as standard, I think that those who need it will at least be able to purchase it as an option. This is the opinion of a Japanese user, but we ask that you consider it.

For reference, you can check how to force vertical writing with the link below. It is very troublesome to work on the linked site line by line.

https://stocker.jp/affinity-manual/95/

Apple's "Pages" and Microsoft's "Word" already support vertical writing in Japanese.
If your company does not support vertical writing in Japanese, you will lose business opportunities for Japanese, but native Japanese users will not have to expect it.
Personally, I would recommend it to my friends and acquaintances if I can handle vertical writing in Japanese.
If standard equipment is difficult, it can be treated as an add-on, so I would like you to implement it.

*The attached image is an image when it is written vertically with the current "Publisher".

I am translating from Japanese to English with Google Translate. I'm sorry if there is something wrong.

Thank you for reading to the end.

affinity.png

• 1 year later...