ethree

[ADI] Importing/exporting PDF on iPad Designer

When importing a PDF of something similar to a scientific figure (dummy examples attached), the text is getting messed up. For example I am importing the attached Example.pdf and the axis labels and the legend spacing gets messed up (see Example2.pdf). Furthermore, when the PDF is exported (Example2.pdf), the text is no longer selectable in programs such as Acrobat Reader.

iPad (5)

iOs 12.0 (16A366)

Affinity Designer 1.6.2.42

Example.pdf

Example2.pdf

Do you have the same font family that was used in the PDF document loaded on the iPad or is the iPad attempting to substitute fonts or converting text to images?

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.150 Affinity Design 1.7.2.4 Publisher for iPad ?

When I import your file it shows an odd font. (Yellow highlights). I can change the font to Aerial and adjust tracking to make it look better (red highlights). As I haven't used Designer with PDF files before I can't help much regarding whether this is a bug or not, sorry, but it doesn't seem like 'desirable' behaviour. Hopefully mods will help sort this out

BBB96C68-0101-4FB3-8ACC-20D780D1D853.jpeg

IPad Pro 10.5 512GB iOS 12.3.1 Affinity Photo 1.7.2.150 Affinity Design 1.7.2.4 Publisher for iPad ?

Hi @ethree,

Welcome to the forums. 

We are aware of the issue where PDF export converts text to curves. 

As for the import issue, Designer on iPad does not give you the option to batch-change a missing font. The font used in your PDF is ArialMT Type 3

image.png

Where the standard Arial is TrueType 

image.png

You would have to install the same font on the iPad and it will be fine opening it. 

Thanks,

Gabe. 

@DM1, thank you for the help. The file you made imports and looks fine, however the text seems to have been converted to curves.

@GabrielM, thank you for the info on the font. I can verify that my plotting software is using some non-standard Arial for some reason. As for the export issue of font being converted to curves, does this issue also occur on the desktop Mac or PC versions or is it limited to iPad?