You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

creating circles that intersect precisely with other objects

I'm new to Affinity Designer (and not a graphic artist) but I'm using it to create a template of intersecting lines and circles. I can easily use snapping to intersect lines and squares precisely but I'm having a problem with circles. Snapping works as long as I'm intersecting the circle at the horizontal or vertical edges, however I need to intersect circles at one precise point not in the horizontal/vertical. I've tried adjusting the snapping parameters but it hasn't worked. I've also tried to mathematically calculate the radius but I need more complicated functions with square root, etc, to be exact.

The file I uploaded is the simplest example I have. I want the circle in the upper left to have a center at the upper left corner of the square. I want the radius to be such that it intersects the larger arc at one place (after which I can turn the small circle into an arc...). I can get close but I need it to be exact. Is this possible with snapping?

Thanks!

4 Fold Template AD.afdesign

• Staff

Tools/improvements have been requested that would make this easier to do, they may be included in future updates/versions. Have you tried using the Donut Tool? when placed you can drag the nodes to adjust the holes radius and also adjust the sweep of the angle.

15 hours ago, jwelch111 said:

I've also tried to mathematically calculate the radius but I need more complicated functions with square root, etc, to be exact.

What leads you to believe that functions such as square root are inexact? Don’t be fooled by truncated values in the Transform panel: what you see there will depend on your display preferences.

I’m not sure how the Donut Tool could help with the example posted here.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

What leads you to believe that functions such as square root are inexact? Don’t be fooled by truncated values in the Transform panel: what you see there will depend on your display preferences.

I’m not sure how the Donut Tool could help with the example posted here.

The doughnut or better, the Pie tool is to get the arc, so you would create the quarter pie and break the curve using the node tool and delete the L to leave the remaining arc

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

The doughnut or better, the Pie tool is to get the arc, so you would create the quarter pie and break the curve using the node tool and delete the L to leave the remaining arc

My reading of the OP is that this thread is not about how to create circular arcs, but rather about how to make sure that the arcs or circles snap together precisely. @JimmyJack has provided a neat solution to the problem in this particular case.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

My reading of the OP is that this thread is not about how to create circular arcs, but rather about how to make sure that the arcs or circles snap together precisely. @JimmyJack has provided a neat solution to the problem in this particular case.

But the creation of an arc is just as valid as it's positioning, I think this is what Lee was alluding to.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

3 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

But the creation of an arc is just as valid as it's positioning, I think this is what Lee was alluding to.

Oh, OK, I had overlooked the OP’s parenthetical remark about turning the small circle into an arc. That aside, the main issue seemed to be the snapping question (which applies equally to a Pie or Donut, of course).

Alfred spacer.png

3 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Oh, OK, I had overlooked the OP’s parenthetical remark about turning the small circle into an arc. That aside, the main issue seemed to be the snapping question (which applies equally to a Pie or Donut, of course).

Depends how hungry you are lol!