You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making Metal Shiny - Editing Tips???

Hello,

I am a nebbie at using the software and the forms so any help would be appreciated.  

What I am trying to do is add a Metal Shine to an image.  We are a manufacturing company and so we have metal products and when I photograph them some of the surfaces are more matte and my boss wants them to look less matte and more, well shiny, bright, inviting.  I'd share the specific photo but I can't so below are some links to kinda what I am talking about.

Not Shiny/Duller Examples:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1.UmraSCWBuNjy0Fhq6z6EVXa6/2pcs-High-Precision-Collet-Chuck-Set-6-35mm-8mm-Engraving-Trimming-Machine-Electric-Router-For-Machinery.jpg_640x640.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/Px8AAOSwt5hYamFT/$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Shiny Fresher looking objects:

https://sep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-46537691064911/dunham-22j-collet-chuck-fits-a-6-degree-spindle-10.gif

http://cdn1.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg500/t/t10413-1689e8719085baf590a6b6336a998edc.jpg

Not as helpful as far as examples go but I'm basically looking for editing suggestions I should try and play around with.  You know the right general direction to head.

Thank you so much for your help!

Hi,

You can use different adjustment layers to accentuate some parts and get some light areas lighter and shinier.

aaa_t10413-1689e8719085baf590a6b6336a998edc_v2.jpg.79ee1f3b1b2de7718480eb1fb340b1ff.jpg

aaa_2pcs-High-Precision-Collet-Chuck-Set-6-35mm-8mm-Engraving-Trimming-Machine-Electric-Router-For-Machinery_v2.jpg.78d03d431ddc2d535425a6aec028578b.jpg

Using a brush and painting in black/grey on the mask of the adjustement layers will help you to decide wich part need to be highlighted and which don't.

Another trick is to use the blending mode.

2018-09-26_221004.thumb.png.b5cd4c2d81abe7ebedfe7a3df094746a.png

Hre some rought examples, done with more finess you can achieve better results.

Have fun :)

aaa_2pcs-High-Precision-Collet-Chuck-Set-6-35mm-8mm-Engraving-Trimming-Machine-Electric-Router-For-Machinery.afphoto

aaa_t10413-1689e8719085baf590a6b6336a998edc.afphoto

As a potential customer, I would want the image to represent the product accurately, I couldn't care less about how shiny it looks, I would be more concerned about how it performs. Anyone buying such a product would understand that it's the construction and function that matters, not how pretty it looks. You aren't going to be looking at a collet that's spinning at 4000rpm, you're going to hope it holds together and keeps the bit straight and locked in.

Personally, I think this is a waste of time.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

25 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

As a potential customer, I would want the image to represent the product accurately, I couldn't care less about how shiny it looks, I would be more concerned about how it performs. Anyone buying such a product would understand that it's the construction and function that matters, not how pretty it looks. You aren't going to be looking at a collet that's spinning at 4000rpm, you're going to hope it holds together and keeps the bit straight and locked in.

Personally, I think this is a waste of time.

It's for marketing purposes/ what my boss wants me to do. If we had the space I would be able to set up a proper studio to photography the items with that shine naturally.  But I don't so I work with what I have, editing software and a backlog of old photos I need to edit.  

Either way it is not a waste of time for me and I appreciate the help from others in learning new skills in editing rather than being told not to bother.  It is never a waste of time to learn a new skill and gain knowledge. 

51 minutes ago, Redofcolor said:

It's for marketing purposes/ what my boss wants me to do. If we had the space I would be able to set up a proper studio to photography the items with that shine naturally.  But I don't so I work with what I have, editing software and a backlog of old photos I need to edit.  

Either way it is not a waste of time for me and I appreciate the help from others in learning new skills in editing rather than being told not to bother.  It is never a waste of time to learn a new skill and gain knowledge. 

Fair do's, from a learning perspective and if it gives you a job fair play, but as a customer as long as I can see large product images I'm happy, for products like this I would also think about learning how to make 360º product images, learn how to do it first then pitch the idea to the boss. 

It's not that hard to knock up a simple Light studio, a few sheets of white card and a flash and a bit of playing to get the best lighting and you could take images that require practically no editing.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions