You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not happy with White balance tool

Hi,

I got Affinity Photo on my iPad Pro 10.5 soon after upgrading for iOS 12. I shoot with Pentax K-70 mostly in native RAW, that is PEF format. I used Lightroom since past 7-8 years, I also have trial version of LR mobile on my iPad. I really like the simplicity and output from LR. With very minimal tweaking LR gives excellent RAW development. But major limitation of LR Mobile app is that it cannot save RAW file in various lossless formats, moreover there are limitations of resizing the files on LR while exporting. Both of these things are taken care by Affinity but I don’t like it’s image output. Mostly the images do not match my taste or need to do too much tweaking to match output of my liking. The major culprit I find in development work flow of AP is the lack of grey point based white balance tool. Which I find very handy in most image editing apps/software. It takes care of both temperature and tint with their perfect interdependence in a single go. Does anyone else know any workaround or feel same like me? I am posting images from LR and AP to show what am I pointing to. Image 3 is AP and 4 is LR output files. 

And this is my first post so please pardon my mistakes, if any.

Atindra

Sparrow-3.jpg

Sparrow-4.jpg

• Staff

Hi Atindra,

Welcome to the forums.

Improvements to the White Balance Tool have been requested. Such as adding options similar to PS for White,Black and Grey, these may be added in a future update. Some users have found workarounds using Levels and Curves adjustments, see this post for more info.

Hi @Atindra, on my monitor the upper image appears well balanced, even if a bit on the warm side of the spectrum. The lower one appears to have a red tint, and at the same time a colder white balance. I guess I know what You are missing in AP, however since I never shoot with a proper greycard I learned to balance the color with the usual temperature and tint sliders present in AP as well as in LR (which I use for 99% of my shots). LR has deeper control, since You can adjust hue, saturation and lightness of individual colour groups - which really helps with complicated lighting situations and unintended tints in parts of the image. I wouldn't mind if Affinity got this amount of control, too.

1 hour ago, Rocketdrive said:

Hi @Atindra, on my monitor the upper image appears well balanced, even if a bit on the warm side of the spectrum. The lower one appears to have a red tint, and at the same time a colder white balance. I guess I know what You are missing in AP, however since I never shoot with a proper greycard I learned to balance the color with the usual temperature and tint sliders present in AP as well as in LR (which I use for 99% of my shots). LR has deeper control, since You can adjust hue, saturation and lightness of individual colour groups - which really helps with complicated lighting situations and unintended tints in parts of the image. I wouldn't mind if Affinity got this amount of control, too.

On my ipad I liked the LR image more. However on my Acer monitor of my desktop, I do see AP image has richer look. However to achieve that I had to spend a lot of time while LR gives me results quickly partly may be I am not very familiar with the UI, but at the same time an extra tool for WB adjustment would be a great addition in an already great app. 

I am also surprised with the compression ratio in best JPEG quality both apps used, AP image is larger. Need to pixel peep to see does it preserve more details too?

Thank you very much for your valuable inputs.

Atindra