Hi all,

I’m just curious more than anything, ive always had an issue with batch processing.  

All I use it for is to take my AFPhoto files and batch convert them to JPEGS. 

I find that no matter the size of the job my iMac crashes. Even if it’s five images my Mac full on freezes and eventually shuts down and restarts. I don’t get a kernel panic in the logs but it’s clearly what’s happening. Does anyone else find this happens or have any other ideas so that I can convert with out having to do them one by one. 

How much free space is there on your startup drive? The only way I know that a Mac will suffer a kernel panic, not log it, & shut down is if there is so little free space on the drive for temp files, VM page swaps, etc. that the OS can't even run enough basic kernel tasks to function.

Affinity Photo 1.7.1, Affinity Designer 1.7.1, Affinity Publisher 1.7.1; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.1.143 & Affinity Designer 1.7.1.1 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

Almost a TB, I should have mentioned, I know it’s not the Mac, I’ve performed a clean install of macOS, I’m a Mac technician, I’ve done exhaustive hardware testing, it’s 100% affinity photo and the fact it’s but I suspect it’s more of an issue with compatibility, admittedly I only have 8GB of RAM which is what I’ve always put it down to, but I’ve found I can’t even process 5 images without it kernel panicking. 

Im curious to know the number of files and the types of batch processing others perform. 

Try running the batch job with Parallel Processing switched off (unticked), this used to cause some problems.

I'm on Windows but I'm assuming that option is also on the Mac

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

Hey @GabrielM sorry this took so long to get back to, the last few weeks have gotten away from me a little. The file is currently uploading to dropbox, its called heyitsdiggy - test.zip

I've come to the point today where I have finished editing a wedding and need to export all the images. It was a small wedding so only about 250 photos. It's taken me hours up to now to export them. 

If I do them in batches of 6 they seem ok, as soon as I add a 7th image it appears to be too much for the app and it crashed restarting the whole Mac, my Magic Trackpads Taptic Engine even freezes because it's no longer communicating with my Mac.

Edit: Just to say the images I'm sending are a newborn session not the wedding I just mentioned, in case there's confusion. Also I've tried to turn off parallel processing, this is what enables me to batch process 6 images with it on and processing the same 6 images I never get any exported files AP just hangs eventually.

I tried to replicate it with your files and it was fine. I then duplicated them a couple of times and it was still fine even with 40 images. 

What iMac have you got? What are the specs? 

Have you got any crash reports in Console > System Reports or User Reports? 

I've come across this problem running a batch job while following the Affinity Photo Workbook. I was doing the Chameleon exercise and the batch processing always made the programme hang. As suggested, I unchecked Parallel processing and it worked okay. However, I have 24Gb of RAM and 500Gb free space on my hard drive so I would imagine it should be able to process the files simultaneously.

Sorry. Should've said I'm running macOS Mojave 10.14.3 on a 27" late2012 iMac 2.9GHz Intel core i5.

Edited by markhornby
Added hardware information.

I am also having this issue. using the latest version from the App Store. have tried with parallel processing on and off. I have a 2015 13in MacBook Pro 2.5 ghz with 8gb of ram

Using AP 1.70 on MacPro 2013. Constant crashes after simple batch process of 3-20 images (7 MP tif, duplicate layer, add layer, fill, move layer, save). With parallel on and off. Restarting computer does not help either. Please fix.

Never had this problem with AP before. Have used batch processing extensively. This is new.

I am still having the issue even after updating to 1.7.1. Have tried the parallel processing trick and only doing it to 2 photos. Still crashes

Using AP 1.70 on MacPro 2013. Constant crashes after simple batch process of 3-20 images (7 MP tif, duplicate layer, add layer, fill, move layer, save). With parallel on and off. Restarting computer does not help either. Please fix.

Never had this problem with AP before. Have used batch processing extensively. This is new.

also tried beta version, but crashes after 0 images successfully processed in parallel, without parallel crashes after 1 image.

On 6/21/2019 at 6:33 PM, jnoyce said:

@Chris B Okay. I uploaded a couple of images that were not working for batch processing. 

Thanks for uploading the images. I've tried a few different formats to batch process but they've all gone well. Can you tell me what format you are choosing and are you running any macros etc? If you can screenshot your Batch Job dialog that would be great.

It crashes every time for me when doing a simple batch convert from (random) jpg files to AFPhoto files using no macros or changing any other settings

Can never get it to go past about 6-8 files, but it can crash at any point

(Windows 8.1)

Due to the ongoing Brexit negotiations, punctuation, spelling and grammar will be used sparingly until further notice.

5 minutes ago, carl123 said:

It crashes every time for me when doing a simple batch convert from (random) jpg files to AFPhoto files using no macros or changing any other settings

Gabriel just showed me this happening on his PC but mine will not crash o.O We're both Windows 10 using the same files too :35_thinking:

On 6/21/2019 at 7:01 AM, Chris B said:

@jnoyce and @Daniel Geiger - could you send me some sample files in their own folder (so I don't mix them up). It's working fine for me so I'd really like to see if this is image specific.

Here is a Dropbox folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/request/cTc93i89ne4fWLXZQ9Sf

Thanks

Just uploaded a few images. Macro is: change color space to greyscale, duplicate layer, go to bottom layer, add layer, fill the added (middle) layer with black, and also has a line tool color and width preset included. So nothing complicated, really. I used that same macro in 1.6 and worked like a charm, so 1.7 is the problem. 

Is there a way to download 1.6? This macro crashing is a serious problem for me. 

I've reproduced it with the files but only if I enable 'Save as AFPhoto'. Once unchecked, the batch is successful. If you're still crashing without that checked, can you send me the macro?

On 7/15/2019 at 2:11 AM, Chris B said:

I've reproduced it with the files but only if I enable 'Save as AFPhoto'. Once unchecked, the batch is successful. If you're still crashing without that checked, can you send me the macro?

still having the same issues. I am trying to save it as a .png. I have tried overwriting the original file and saving it as a new file. it also crashes when trying to run a single macro. 

fill.afmacro