You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

combining the moons

ianrb

Bit of bad photography with Panasonic Fz300 while walking a friend's dog
Just the two photos taken as I usually do; one focused on the moon and the other on the limbs -- was trying to get the "marshmallow" on the stick but the moon didn't want to be cooked --- maybe another evening
Basic editing in Lr5
both files taken to affinity > focused moon enlarged to cover the other > masked in with the sharper limbs > bit of contrast added >  border added with 'outline 
Just an interesting little edit to do and share
questions welcome 

201809  02837-2.jpg

Lr5: simply because no one has come up with better unni; plus I'm so used to it. On1 is close but still miles off.  I have basically gone back to Lr/Pse days where I can do most in LR and use affinity for the bit Lr cannot do --- I haven't used Ap develop mode much . I'm still wondering about "personas" (????)

@ianrb : Personas are probably a different way of expressing , to keep up with change, otherwise its just switching between stages in the workflow.
If you learn to use the develop persona( similar to camera raw) where the RAW file is processed, then it will be useful because from the photo persona(similar to photoshop),
you can go back to develop persona. For people who are well familiar with LR and PS, there will be some frustration and resistance to change but in the long run, it will
be better to explore and find out the equivalents in AP if its being considered as the primary platform. I am basically a hobbyist, so these differences don't matter.
Its about three months since I bought AP and I have been able to get a reasonably good grip now. The videos are very helpful. Its a bit confusing to learn the application
of masking, channel loading, etc and hardly any elaborate printed material explaining the details of various tools and options, when compared to PS. But by experimenting,
searching the forum topics, most of the doubts gets cleared.

On 9/26/2018 at 4:35 PM, morgan1993 said:

I love the difference between the two images. I wonder how you have managed to capture the image while holding dog collars and your camera at the same time? 

Let the bloody dog go lol 
This happened when she was younger :( Young dogs, leads and tripods don't mix !!
However we now have her well trained and I can let her drag the lead around the streets when walking. She has also learnt stay clear when I take a photo .
BTW; the friend is the Darling X lol 

2017  2091.jpg

201808  02533.jpg

Learning any new program is always frustrating @unni; and even more so when one is very used to other programs -- that's as I find anyway.  I still remember going from PS7 to Lr2 and having to turn off Ps to get my head around lr. Gave up a few times but so glad I persisted . Back then PS was over Au$1000 !! [no; I didn't buy it lol]
I have spent 18 months learning and using On1--- too many dramas sadly so I'm giving Ap a go but I haven't given up totally on On1 as they do have some great ideas. In many ways Ap is too much like Ps and things I didn't understand or use enough in Ps are just the same/similar mystery in Affinity . 
In many ways; dollars, time, fitness, and frustrations; I would have been better to have kept using lr5/Pse12/Nic color+HDR/ICE (pano) instead of reading the sale blurb of other programs :$. Or just got into the shed with all the woodwork tools there  . 

Basically, its all about manipulating the RGB pixel values and its relationship with neighboring pixels, using software. I found this very useful and I think the same calculations applies to AP also. https://photoblogstop.com/photoshop/photoshop-blend-modes-explained
If we understand the algorithm and the maths behind the tool/filters/function etc, things become clear but always, the maths or algorithm details are not available. Then we have to guess from results. Open source softwares and forums give out may such details. AP has more than enough tools and functions for working professionally on images but there could be different opinions when it comes to productivity, time, printing, etc, especially when comparing with adobe packages. I plan to use Rawtherapee if the need arises to work heavily on raw image stage. NIK collection can be used to create additional effects (detail extractor of color effex pro is very useful). To work around the color problem, NIK can be used in standalone mode with the intermediate image saved as TIF in any colour space and after working on it, the TIF can be imported back to AP. A slightly long route but its okay I think. @ianrb

While the image is cool, it seems unnatural to have both things in focus, it doesn't sit well with the universal laws of blurriness lol! 

Having said that a great image would be to have the moon in a spiders web between the branches.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions