You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

To reposition the ruler origin:

To reposition the ruler origin:

• From the main toolbar, enable Edit Ruler Origin and drag the ruler origin to your desired position.

Where has this function gone? Was there in 128, can't find it anymore. I find it really useful and I would like to have it also in Designer.

Publisher is really going to be a serious competitor in publisher imho, thx.

Hans.

Which is a poor implementation of what ought to be a simple task from any zoom level by dragging from the ruler intersection...like in about everything else. I only add the word "about" because while I have used a bazillion applications over the years, there actually could be one that uses some sub-optimal method.

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

Which is a poor implementation of what ought to be a simple task from any zoom level by dragging from the ruler intersection...

I don't necessarily disagree with you about that, but the current implementation has the (very minor) advantage of allowing users to move the origin even when the ruler is not visible.

Also, since the origin crosshair target appears in the workspace, together with the usual snapping options, it can easily be snapped to any object, even to a snapping candidate of an object that is that is completely off the page. I have no idea if or how useful that really would be, but it does make possible precision placement of the origin to a point on or off the page.

Maybe one of both of those things went into the decision to implement it this way? :35_thinking:

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, Hans Rutgers said:

And it is not in the "customize toolbar" menu.Schermafbeelding 2018-09-25 om 22.11.00.pdf

Your Customize Toolbar dialog was not scrolled all the way to the bottom. The tool you wanted is lower in the list.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

42 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you about that, but the current implementation has the (very minor) advantage of allowing users to move the origin even when the ruler is not visible.

Also, since the origin crosshair target appears in the workspace, together with the usual snapping options, it can easily be snapped to any object, even to a snapping candidate of an object that is that is completely off the page. I have no idea if or how useful that really would be, but it does make possible precision placement of the origin to a point on or off the page.

Maybe one of both of those things went into the decision to implement it this way? :35_thinking:

Personally, I think I may have moved the ruler origin a couple times in a layout application in what? Going on 30 years. Which goes to explain my disregard (perhaps disdain) for how it currently works. I mean, I gotta toggle a button? I cannot imagine it cannot be done using the ruler intersection along with all the nifty snapping features too. And most all of them work to reset the ruler origin by double-clicking on the ruler intersection.

I do use the feature off and on in vector editing software though. I mainly use Xara Designer Pro, which does also snap to objects when the "other application" method is used. As does CorelDraw. As does ...

But anyway, like other items in Affinity products I find odd or hey, "just different," Serif didn't ask my opinion way back when these things were a dream and certainly aren't asking outsiders much now (if at all). Tis their vision that we chuckle at when using (else one could get upset) and put up with if using their software.

14 minutes ago, MikeW said:

I do use the feature off and on in vector editing software though. I mainly use Xara Designer Pro, which does also snap to objects when the "other application" method is used. As does CorelDraw. As does ...

... Serif DrawPlus, perhaps? I know they’re trying to do everything “new from the ground up”, but double-clicking on the ruler intersection to move the ruler origin is so intuitive that almost any other choice of method seems perverse.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

... Serif DrawPlus, perhaps? I know they’re trying to do everything “new from the ground up”, but double-clicking on the ruler intersection to move the ruler origin is so intuitive that almost any other choice of method seems perverse.

I usually term these types of things, novel. I suspect Serif doesn't like me using that term.

1 hour ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

but double-clicking on the ruler intersection

You can double-click the Page Origin Icon in Publisher and it too will snap back to the 0,0 origin.
I kind of like this implementation. You don't have to drag it from the top-left ruler intersection to get to the page. It's already there at the 0,0 origin.
On a bigger screen that's a big advantage.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Yes, double-click works fine. When it's in view. Do update the thread after quite some use. The extra zoom in/out has already been an impediment for working quickly.

Now, like I mentioned earlier, I doubt I'll ever use this facility in APub. I'm just trying it out as this thing will be in AD. 

7 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

IIRC, back in ancient times when I used Freehand 7 on a classic PPC Mac, to move an origin one clicked & dragged on the zero point on the rulers, so the vertical & horizontal origin points could be adjusted separately. Double-clicking on the units designator at the intersection of the two rulers reset it to the upper left edge of the canvas.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, MikeW said:

The extra zoom in/out has already been an impediment for working quickly.

Apart from bloating the interface with a basically superfluous button, I believe this is the big disadvantage of the current approach. You cannot quickly reposition the ruler origin when the origin handle is out of sight. While the “handle” approach has advantages on bigger screens, this one is really an issue. In some cases, it requires a lot of zooming in and out indeed. :(

Furthermore, we should be able to change document units by right clicking the ruler origin.

34 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

You cannot quickly reposition the ruler origin when the origin handle is out of sight. While the “handle” approach has advantages on bigger screens, this one is really an issue.

Except that particularly on small screens, users may not want to sacrifice any screen space to showing the rulers. For that matter, even on my 27" iMac, if I am working in separated window mode with several workspace windows and/or views of a document, all those pixels devoted to showing the rulers leaves progressively less room for the documents themselves.

As for toolbar bloat, users can remove the pair of buttons if they don't need them, or move them so far to the right that they are on the pop-out menu.

Affinity Photo 

3 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Furthermore, we should be able to change document units by right clicking the ruler origin.

+1

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

It would also be nice to have an option (probably buried in a menu somewhere) to set the origin point to the center of the page - maybe center vertically, center horizontally, center both?

Actually, I could almost see a submenu somewhere in the menu bar:

Coordinate System ->
    Show/Hide Origin Point

Set Origin Point...

----

Upper-Left Corner Origin

Lower-Left Corner Origin

Upper-Right Corner Origin

Lower-Right Corner Origin

----

Top-Center Origin

Bottom-Center Origin

Center-Left Origin

Center-Right Origin

Page Center Origin 

----

Invert Vertical Axis

Invert Horizontal Axis

Measurement Units ->

Inches

Millimeters

Picas/Points

Lightyears

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

It would also be nice to have an option (probably buried in a menu somewhere) to set the origin point to the center of the page - maybe center vertically, center horizontally, center both?

That can be done with the current implementation using the existing snap to spread or margins options, without the need for more menus.

Affinity Photo 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.