You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text styles short cuts

4 hours ago, GeoffM33 said:

Doh! There it was, staring me right in the face. Lesson learnt! Time for computing's last resort - read the flippin' manual...

I believe the F in "RTFM" stands for Fine not 'flipping''. a petty quibble I know.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I believe the F in "RTFM" stands for Fine not 'flipping''. a petty quibble I know.

But Geoff’s version is much funnier.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

That's the clean version of that initialism, certainly. The "official" version is somewhat more earthy than "flippin" :) (but I agree that for a printed book, flippin' is nice).

Wikipedia's version of RTFM (which matches how I learned it) (NSFW, perhaps)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you have a long document, like a brochure or manual, say, it will probably have several levels of information in it. And these will repeat page after page, chapter after chapter. To manually mouse/click each of these as you go through the document styling it up would take ages. You've probably imported it from a client's Word file so it won't look the way you want it.

So, you establish your styles on the first page or two, and give each one a keyboard short-cut. 

It might go: Chapter heading, main heading, sub heading, text stand-first, body text, bullet point and so on. 

Place your text cursor in the first heading, hit the command for its style and it will be applied to that paragraph. If the document is mostly in long linked text chains you can use keyboard navigation to move to the next heading, or paragraph and hit the command for the style you want (yes, you do have to memorise the shortcuts but there shouldn't be too many) then move to the next and so on. This way you can style a long document very quickly just with the keyboard and with very little mouse work.

However, I have not found a keyboard command to jump between paragraphs. Maybe a custom command needs to be made. It would be good if there was a ready-made cursor command for this in the default set.

Is this what you meant?

Another option is to use shortcut and the option you can find when right-clicking on paragraph style: "Apply style_xxx then next styles".

Before applying "next styles", you need to set them in the Paragraph style options. Once done, you only need to know main shortcuts.
In the example above, you can apply style (1), and select all the text and use "Apply style_1 and next styles" (styles 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be aplied to the text).

Next step, you select the appropriate paragraphs and use the shortcuts to apply styles (a) and (b).
This way, you only need to know shortcuts for styles 1, a, and b.

2018-09-27_000424.png.821db38c4162a3077b2730b3a3fc71e4.png

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

Another option is to use shortcut and the option you can find when right-clicking on paragraph style: "Apply style_xxx then next styles".

Before applying "next styles", you need to set them in the Paragraph style options. Once done, you only need to know main shortcuts.
In the example above, you can apply style (1), and select all the text and use "Apply style_1 and next styles" (styles 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 will be aplied to the text).

Next step, you select the appropriate paragraphs and use the shortcuts to apply styles (a) and (b).

As the kids say oh em jee. Wow. That is just... I am with out words. [big-happy-smiley-face emoticon]

I have never used this before, Massive time saver that I missed. Thank you.  [big-happy-smiley-face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Wait… ;)

Now, imagine we can have some "Text Frame Styles", with 2 options: 

• Apply text styles
    • And next styles (only available if first one is checked)

You'll only need to create text frames, and (re)apply some Text Frame Styles (for example here: Biography, Exergue violet, Text box orange, Main text…) : the paragraph styles will apply automagically and you''ll only have to care for details (sub heading, emphasis, byline…) :)

2018-09-27_075640.png.b2b874e50126655a59c5904c3357ebc6.png

13 hours ago, Wosven said:

2018-09-27_000424.png.821db38c4162a3077b2730b3a3fc71e4.png

5 hours ago, Wosven said:

Wait… ;)

Now, imagine we can have some "Text Frame Styles", with 2 options: 

• Apply text styles
    • And next styles (only available if first one is checked)

You'll only need to create text frames, and (re)apply some Text Frame Styles (for example here: Biography, Exergue violet, Text box orange, Main text…) : the paragraph styles will apply automagically and you''ll only have to care for details (sub heading, emphasis, byline…) :)

2018-09-27_075640.png.b2b874e50126655a59c5904c3357ebc6.png

Excellent! It also works if you select the text box with the move tool and right click "Apply style_1 and next styles". We don't yet have text box and picture box styles, but a styled text box can be stored in the Assets pane, but it doesn't work as well as your suggestion.