You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Font

If you don't have the font installed, where would you expect Publisher to find it?

I think it will have substituted one of your existing fonts. You can find more info about what it did by using Document > Font Manager.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, Sam Neil said:

I appreciate that Walt but what I am saying is why is it relying on a font that the user might or might not have installed to have to substitute for something similar?

I guess my question would be what is the "it" that's relying on something?

Publisher seems to be telling you that an asset you're using relies on a font that (somehow) you don't have installed. Where did you get that asset?

Did you create it? Did you create it on the same computer you're using it on? If so, you presumably had the font when you created the asset. Did you uninstall the font?

(Basically, I think a lot more information is needed about how you got into that situation.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I simply installed the latest BETA and that was it. This is my whole point. If I install the software, it should assume I have the font and if I don't throw an error message and further more substitute it with another font. I did not create those assets. The machine I used had never had Affinity installed on it. So I don't think my point is very hard to understand.

We don't install any font with our app only what is installed by the user. The iOS assets use the font that Apple decided on for their UI but it is not something that is naively part of Windows or Apple OS's . It falls back to Arial if you do not have this font installed. But this is basically all expected behaviour

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

16 hours ago, rjdjing said:

Missing font ("Optima"). In the video tutorial titled "Simple text," the instructor uses the Optima font, but it doesn’t appear as one of the font options in the program.

Optima is a commercial font, but the Magenta MgOpen lookalike Cosmetica is free: https://packages.debian.org/jessie/fonts-mgopen

Belleza and Marcellus (both from Google Fonts) might be worth a look if you're willing to make do with something close but not an exact copy.

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

We don't install any font with our app only what is installed by the user. The iOS assets use the font that Apple decided on for their UI but it is not something that is naively part of Windows or Apple OS's . It falls back to Arial if you do not have this font installed. But this is basically all expected behaviour

From the OP's screenshot, it looks as though the missing font is an SF (San Francisco) font. I believe those fonts come with macOS; I don't think they're even available to buy if you aren't using a Mac.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.