You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

removing background - affinity photo

hello all, new to the forum and affinity. have to say i am THRILLED with affinity! 

looking for tips, ways to improve removing the watercolor paper background. maybe i'm doing just fine but i thought i'd ask for input.

what i've done is selected the paper using the 'color sample' selection option, inverted the selection to get the painted elements, then refined using .2px for feather and smooth, thinking that would soften the edges and expand the shapes just a little. i inverted the selection again which gave me back the white paper selected and then cut it out. seems like a lot of steps but it goes so quickly! 

if you look at the attached image there is haziness around the image. is that from the feathering? do you think it would be better to do this with a mask? NOTE: the black background is temp so i can see if there are any bits of the paper that didn't get removed. 

the end result will be posting this watercolor to print on demand sites like society 6 and red bubble. 

thanks for having me and for the input.

jen

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 11.43.28 AM.png

1 hour ago, jasbury said:

hello all, new to the forum and affinity. have to say i am THRILLED with affinity! 

looking for tips, ways to improve removing the watercolor paper background. maybe i'm doing just fine but i thought i'd ask for input.

what i've done is selected the paper using the 'color sample' selection option, inverted the selection to get the painted elements, then refined using .2px for feather and smooth, thinking that would soften the edges and expand the shapes just a little. i inverted the selection again which gave me back the white paper selected and then cut it out. seems like a lot of steps but it goes so quickly! 

if you look at the attached image there is haziness around the image. is that from the feathering? do you think it would be better to do this with a mask? NOTE: the black background is temp so i can see if there are any bits of the paper that didn't get removed. 

the end result will be posting this watercolor to print on demand sites like society 6 and red bubble. 

thanks for having me and for the input.

jen

I haven't seen the original so its impossible to say but you would probably be better off just making a selection and refining it.

redthing.png.39b2329e9d994003abd136e91949d1b5.png

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Is that the original at its highest resolution? It seems to be very low resolution. 

For this white background one, I just used the selection tool to select the white and manipulated the edges with a mixture of growing and feathering..The first image I selected the black and then refined the edges. That won't work on the second (white background) image because the resolution is too low.

What you do always depends on the original file, some techniques work on low resolution, some on high and so forth.

In fact, sometimes it is better to use a vector path but not with this.

thing2.jpg.488cdeaa990cf085bf97af5b7023b752.jpg

Basically, a three step process that took 2 or 3 minutes. Nice image BTW.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.