You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Placed images - ppi and co-ordinates

Just spotted a nice little feature that's made me very happy :) (probably just being blind until now) - with the Context Toolbar showing and an image selected, at the left side of the Context toolbar it shows: image name | pixel dimensions @ placed dpi. Love this, saves opening Resource manager just to check I haven't over-enlarged an image. And if I've accidentally stretched an image's proportions it shows for example @300x320dpi instead of just @300dpi if it's in proportion. Also great.

Requests:

1. Having seen I've mistakenly stretched an image's proportion, could there be a reset of some sort, to put it back in proportion, other than manually trying to un-strech it? (none of the picture frame properties correct this if you've manually scaled the image).
  2. While scaling an image, could that dpi adjust on the fly, so I don't have to scale and let go, scale and let go to see the updated placed resolution?
  3. Super-picky, but it should be ppi, not dpi, same in resource manager.

____

Also on the subject of placed images, when images are selected within a picture frame, or inside a rectangle, could the transform x-y coordinates relate to the parent container, not the page. To explain further, if an image is manually cropped within a picture frame, but I want to be sure that it starts exactly at the left edge of the picture frame (for example) - if the x-y co-ordinates relate to the container then the x co-ordinates need to be 0 - currently they show the image's position on the page, so bear no relation to where they are in the container.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

• Staff

Hi TomGerritzen,
In v1.7.0.133 the Resource Manager provides both the original image size and DPI as well as placed size and placed DPI. The placed DPI info is on the last column on the list. If these changes aren't present in the Windows version yet they will be soon in a future update.

• Staff

@iaing,
Thanks for your feedback. I do agree it would be nice to have a quick way to reset the image proportions. It also would be nice to see the DPI updating in realtime.

Regarding your last point: if you want to align the image with the container being it a picture frame or a clipping shape (rectangle) you can do so enabling snapping (make sure Snap to shape key points is enabled/ticked in the Snapping Manager). You should see the smart guides appearing to help you align them.

6 hours ago, TomGerritzen said:

The Windows version does have a Context Toolbar, but it doesn't show this information (image name and placed resolution).

The Context bar shows that for me, Tom. Here's a screenshot with a simple placed image selected:

context.png.186c9ad6cdd7d4cf8cb1b43a15b024ce.png

It's a little harder to get it with a Picture Frame involved; that took a double-click (or two) on the image itself, but it did show.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 9/27/2018 at 3:45 AM, walt.farrell said:

The Context bar shows that for me, Tom. Here's a screenshot with a simple placed image selected:

context.png.186c9ad6cdd7d4cf8cb1b43a15b024ce.png

It's a little harder to get it with a Picture Frame involved; that took a double-click (or two) on the image itself, but it did show.

That's odd. After double clicking my Toolbar looks like this:

image.png.4cfa2aa9929f6c94682c8c35dc6ee4f9.png

No mention of resolution. And it says "Embedded document", whereas it's a linked image. I checked the Resource Manager to be sure.

1 minute ago, TomGerritzen said:

No mention of resolution. And it says "Embedded document", whereas it's a linked image. I checked the Resource Manager to be sure.

I suspect that yours isn't an image (JPEG, TIFF, PNG) but a document (PDF, PSD, EPS, SVG).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I can't really answer that for a PSD file, Tom. But I have noticed that Publisher (and I suspect the other two applications) have some fundamental differences in the way they treat placed/embedded files, handling pure image files differently from the way they handle non-image files.

-- Walt
PC:

37 minutes ago, TomGerritzen said:

But it's a problem, of course, because any bitmap should be treated as such, I think. A vector image is different, but a PSD (which it is in my case) always has resolution and pixels. Or am I wrong?

I agree - it's doing the same with Affinity Photo files too, which has just a pixel layer, so I hope Pub will be able to recognise resolution in those eventually.

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0