You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What doesnt Work here ?

Sorry, but this whole Text style thing is somehow stil difficult to me.. 

Following problem.  I had to copy some chinese text and english text from an indesign document to my publisher document to see if i could reproduce it and make styles of it.. 

First i had to install "SimHei" as a font, which was missing in indesign .  Well that seemed to work.. 

I made textframes in publisher, copied the text from Indesign to publisher and made a new paragraph style from it..

than i try to make my headlines bold..  which worked fine so far, but when i tried to resave my headline style, the Chinese text is killed and i only get some squares..     hmmm..

So what do i missunderstand here..  is this a limitation of SimHei, or do i make something else wrong ?  Ill put the screenshots..

image0001.jpg

image0002.jpg

image0003.jpg

image0004.jpg

The squares/rectangles is the .notdef character (not defined character) used in most fonts. It's usage is to indicate a missing glyph.

I take back the whole Bold thing after looking more closely. Chances are once you update the style to the English text font, those Unicode slots in SimHei font are not found in the English text font and so the .notdef character is used to indicate this.

Your only option would be to make a character style to apply to the SimHei font and maybe the header will be proper.