You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem replacing images by drag and drop !

Hi
I am not sure this is wanted....  I think its rather a bug ?

When i have made an imageframe , positioned an image  , in this case a pdf of a florplane inside,  and i want to exchange it with new conted by drag and drop !

The new pdf file doesnt seem to remember the old settings of scale and rotation ....     

replacing content.jpg

I'm not sure that drag and drop would "exchange content". Wouldn't it more likely just add a new layer on top of the original layer?

What do you see in the Layers panel before/after the operation?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I think the image frame is stil strage.... scaling the image and replacing it doesn't feel familliar to me .... maybe because I come from InDesign - this is my only point I really prefere the InDesign way.

No control+D (or other)
When scaling the palced image the frame itself isn't showen - that ist the most important point!
When changing the image the scaling doesn't feel good to me - same as Tom wrote
I can't find a proper sace to fit maximum (the one doesn't work al the time)

20 hours ago, Tom Schülke said:

I am not sure this is wanted....  I think its rather a bug ?

When i have made an imageframe , positioned an image  , in this case a pdf of a florplane inside,  and i want to exchange it with new conted by drag and drop !

The new pdf file doesnt seem to remember the old settings of scale and rotation ....    

I'd use "Replace image" on the context toolbar. Should keep the scaling, rotation etc. I don't think drag & drop would work.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

5 hours ago, Tom Schülke said:

sure...  that is what we could do, but its slower...   when you allready positoned an image in a frame,  it should be logical that you want to keep the size...  its rather the usual workflow..

so publisher should understand that and enhance our workflow this way..  

Again, Tom, I would expect a drag and drop to be adding a new object not replacing one. As MickRose suggested, Replace Image is the way to do what you're trying to do.

If I draw a rectangle, I get a new layer in the document. If I drag a rectangle from another document and put it on top of that original rectangle, it does not replace it. I now have two rectangles, on two layers.

For consistency images need to work the same.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If I use "Replace image" the picture don"t keep the scalling, rotation, etc. that I used, it just put the picture at 100%.
I don't find that relevant, because if I take the time to positioned the frame and the picture like I want, it's not to do it again if I change the picture.
Maybe, it's because I use Indesign every day, but the drag/drop is the fastest way to do it.

Yes I'm with Kroco

This is a forum to find out what the user think. I'm very use to the method InDesign dos it. There are amny things I relly prefer in AP but the way InDesign handles image frames, scale and replacement (accourding to scale) is much more effective to me. But I really like the "place image bar"

10 hours ago, Kroco said:

If I use "Replace image" the picture don"t keep the scalling, rotation, etc. that I used, it just put the picture at 100%.
I don't find that relevant, because if I take the time to positioned the frame and the picture like I want, it's not to do it again if I change the picture.
Maybe, it's because I use Indesign every day, but the drag/drop is the fastest way to do it.

Kroco ,
You are right, when you talk about simple images.
But my company, is in architectural competitions all over the world, producing brochures with images alongside with floorplans, sections, side plans and so on.  here , all the time, plans get positiond and scalled in a special way, and so exchanging them with new pdfs, vector based plans means changing only the content and not the size..

it realy makes sens, also to drop a new pdf on an existing imageframe with content. and here leaving the scale the way it was makes just sens and is totaly useful..

for example you scale your plan to show a special detail on your fassade ore the entrance only..   allways rescaling after import takes time...

Hi all

As walt.farrell suggests replace image is what is needed to keep the current orientation. Drag and dropping is currently the equivalent of adding a brand new image to the picture frame as is there was not one there before. Saying that I don't think it is a bad idea at all to keep thing like the orientation by dragging a new image in so I shall move this to the suggestions part of the forum to be considered by the development team

Thanks 

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

• 2 months later...

I think it's a great idea to be able to change the image of a Picture Frame simply by drag & drop.

I used a lot of different photo book creation software and actually it's quite common there that you can change the image of a picture frame simply by drag & drop rather than an "Replace Image" button.

This is one of the points where the Publisher definetely feels cumbersome and non-intuitive.

I does many things right compared to the competitors but sometimes fails on low hanging fruits like this.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

On 9/26/2018 at 1:13 AM, Tom Schülke said:

all the time, plans get positiond and scalled in a special way, and so exchanging them with new pdfs, vector based plans means changing only the content and not the size..

it realy makes sens, also to drop a new pdf on an existing imageframe with content. and here leaving the scale the way it was makes just sens and is totaly useful..

I realize that this work flow may not work for you but here goes. I made a couple of documents in Affinity Designer "A doc" & "B doc" I made a document in Affinity Publisher and put in a picture frame of the desired size. I exported A doc as a PDF and named it replace.pdf then I placed it (set to Linked Preferred) into the Publisher document's picture frame. I moved and rotated the picture frame and saved the document. I then used Designer to export B doc as a PDF and used the same name so as to overwrite the current PDF. Switching back to Publisher I had a notice that the placed pdf had been changed so I updated it and the sizing and rotation were honoured.

I guess you would have to have a set of generic names like "plan 1" etc and keep track of them, it is up to you as to whether this method (overwriting the PDF) would be possible.

Edit; Nothing crashed but the memory was used up by Spindump and slowed the whole machine down. This might be due to something else but I thought I should mention it. This was a very simple PDF, so test on something small.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Call me stupid but to me the picture-frame is keeping its rotation and size with drag/drop a new image.

Win10/APub 1.7.0.192 beta

How did you do that? Picture Frame does not respond to dragging in a Image in my System. Also win10 and current Beta.

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

Interesting that this works, but dragging an existing Image Layer does not. This is incosistent.

Thank you for the video. I now see where our misunderstanding is.

You drag from an explorer window.

If you first drag the picture into the document elsewhere it becomes a layer of type "Image".

I expected that by dragging this layer on top of the Picture Frame layer it would somehow highlight
and offer me to put that Image Layer into the Picture frame. So as if I would do it in the assets layer.

Actually a lot of standard photo book software works this way:

• If you drag there a picture onto a frame it goes into the frame.
  • The other way round a picture frame dropped on an image wraps it.

The relevant cursor point in this cases is the top left corner.

I like this behaviour and are kind of used to that. Enough to expect it.

But maybe devs did not make that work intentional. Only they now.

Maybe QA can give a statement to that.

45 minutes ago, haakoo said:

Now I understand what you'te looking for.

You can drag a pixel layer into a PF,

this can be done in the layerspanel but not on the canvas.

Yes, thanks for finding the right words to describe it. I struggle sometimes with that.

I expect to be able to do that on the canvas.

Either it's just a missing feature (because devs did not think about that) or it's missing intentional. Not sure about that and why.

I figured that out, yes. But it's still cumbersome.

In a WYSIWYG editor like this and compared to many other photo book software, which is essential a light version of a publishing tool it's intuitive to do as much as you can on the canvas.

I strongly believe that those software works with layers to behind the scenes, but since everything can be done very intuitive on the canvas itself, there is no need to display a layer panel.

For a professional publishing software I would expect both ways to function.

There is no need for a professional software to be cumbersome that as Affinity Publisher when it can be intuitive and easy to use instead.

Of course, Scribus is way worse.

---

EDIT:

And you should take into a account that I come from propritary photo book software and Photoshop Elements. So I'm new to publishing tools and have a somewhat fresh view on that. I know from myself how that view gets lost over the time if you see the same behaviour over and over again and getting slowly used to it.

5 minutes ago, haakoo said:

There are probably things to be expected to change because this is just a pre-release beta.

This is why I try to give as much feedback as I can to make it an even easier to use tool before release. :-)

But having the possibility to do what @Tom Schülke asks would be important.

When I create document with lot of images I need to "crop" (zooming, adjusting to the picture frame depending of the area I have), it can be with low resolution images the client provides.
When he's ok with those images, he sends me the high resolution ones, it's simple: I drop the new ones in each frame and they replace the low resolution ones with same position, size, etc.

It takes few seconds.

When I try do do (drop or replace) this in a picture frame in APub, the display is always different unless "Scale to…" or "Strech…" is selected. Sorry, but those options don't usually place image the way I want them to be.

I hope the development team will considere this :) 

On 12/8/2018 at 11:58 AM, haakoo said:

You can drag a pixel layer into a PF, 

Be careful, the end result is not the same if you drop a pixel layer in a picture frame:

1. Original image in a picture frame (there's a grey square with a cross is the Layers panel preview)
  2. Dropped layer (above the original picture, it didn't replace it)

2018-12-09_160125.png.d1891f419c775d8c59523987312aace3.png