You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

60 Pictures from Photos disappeared

Just purchased Affinity Photo, Not happy but obviously my fault for the problem. I think this is for the experts.

Selected to resize a photo (trial) from Affinity, went to photos on iMac. clicked on a photo  - I think it then started uploading everything from my computer into Affinity Photo,

Realising that and not expecting it would upload I closed it down. 

When I went back to my Photos library on iMac about 60 photos (the most recent ones) They were gone !!!  looked everywhere for them to no avail .

So.... I'm not very happy at all,  I don't think this program is for me or anyone that is not a pro. I need to simply resize /optimise a few photos

to upload to the net. 

Can someone please help ?  at least get my photos back. 

.......... Also should I ( beginner )request a refund or should I have another try   ? 

Help will be greatly appreciated.

Affinity Photo does not 'upload' anything from or otherwise interact with your Apple Photos library if, in that Apple app, you just click on a photo it displays in its albums, memories, etc. There are several steps you must take to edit a photo from a Photos library in Affinity Photo, & doing that cannot delete the original 'master' photo from the library.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you for your reply, I'm new in using affinity photo but i'm not totally dumb. The first time ever I lost photos from my photos album. While using the program to resize the selected photo Affinity was uploading others in it's program. When I open affinity it shows me that it has my desktop items in its system but no photos.. !!

I would really appreciate someone who knows what their talking about and please advise not what it does or should do But what can be done to solve the problem Or what might I have done unknowingly being a new user. It would be appreciated if someone from Affinity photo could get involved please. 

It's one thing spending money for problems I don't need - spending  useless time is something I'm trying to avoid.

Thank you 

28 minutes ago, Johnmau said:

While using the program to resize the selected photo Affinity was uploading others in it's program.

I'm not a Mac user, but what did you see that indicated that Affinity was uploading anything? Affinity opens files ( a non-destructive action) but it doesn't upload anything, nor is anything uploaded to it.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

Thank you IanSG,

I might have mistaken opening opening file to uploading. My frustration is that I have lost these photos somehow, I clicked on only 1 photo as a trial run. 

Now I'm frustrated,  obviously I have done something wrong being new to this but sure would like to know how on earth I deleted these photos. Afraid of losing any more.

Thank you.

28 minutes ago, Johnmau said:

Now I'm frustrated,  obviously I have done something wrong being new to this but sure would like to know how on earth I deleted these photos. Afraid of losing any more.

First of all, stop using Affinity Photo until you figure out what is going wrong. As you are so unfamiliar with using it, you will likely do something wrong, or just get more frustrated. It is nothing to do with Affinity Photo, it does not delete batches of photos. There are many thousands of happy user who can testify to that. Serif are very professional and know exactly what they are doing and deleting customers files doesn't happen, ever!

As has been stated, Affinity does nothing to the files on your disc, other than reading one at a time, and saving one at a time. I know there are batch operations , but ignore that for now as you will not have used them. Anyway that won't delete files.

Try and find out what has gone wrong with your actions or your operating system, then get back to using Affinity.

I know when things go wrong we all tend to blame something new, but it is just a coincidence.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

9 minutes ago, toltec said:

First of all, stop using Affinity Photo until you figure out what is going wrong. As you are so unfamiliar with using it, you will likely do something wrong, or just get more frustrated. It is nothing to do with Affinity Photo, it does not delete batches of photos. There are many thousands of happy user who can testify to that. Serif are very professional and know exactly what they are doing and deleting customers files doesn't happen, ever!

As has been stated, Affinity does nothing to the files on your disc, other than reading one at a time, and saving one at a time. I know there are batch operations , but ignore that for now as you will not have used them. Anyway that won't delete files.

Try and find out what has gone wrong with your actions or your operating system, then get back to using Affinity.

I know when things go wrong we all tend to blame something new, but it is just a coincidence.

Many thanks

Hi, I’d be willing to try and help you out if you like, I suspect like others have pointed out it’s not likely that Affinity Photo is the cause but that doesn’t change the fact you have some missing photos. 

I cant promise I can get them back but I’ll certainly try and work out what happened. 

Feel free to send me a private message if you like. 

1 hour ago, Johnmau said:

Now I'm frustrated,  obviously I have done something wrong being new to this but sure would like to know how on earth I deleted these photos.

The only way to delete photos from an Apple Photos library is either to open the library in Finder & drag files from its 'master' subfolder to the trash (& it is very unlikely you did that because it requires a right-click on the library package & choosing 'show contents' before you can even see that subfolder) or to select photos in the Apple app & select "Delete xx photos."

Even if you do the latter, there is a 'Sure you want to delete?' confirmation with Cancel & Delete buttons that you must choose from before that will happen. And even if you click '"Delete" that just moves them to the "Recently Deleted" sidebar item (looks like a trashcan) & you have 30 days to recover them before they are permanently deleted.

Affinity Photo can neither initiate either of these deletion procedures nor do them as the result of anything you can do in the Affinity app.

So unless you have done either of the above, your photos have not been deleted. It is possible you accidentally used the ⌘L keyboard shortcut in Apple Photos to hide selected photos, but that also requires confirmation & just moves them to the "Hidden' library item (looks like two stacked rectangles with a slash through them). It is also possible that the Photos library needs to be repaired, which you can do by following the directions in this Apple Support document.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Hello Johnmau.
For Windows, there are programs that can recover accidentally deleted files and Fotos in many cases. For example, PC Inspector-File Recovery or Recuva. Look, if there are synonymous for MAC. Do not you have a backup of your photos?

Guzzi

Windows 10 Prof.; Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481, Beta 1.8.0.532