You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Are you talking about the size of the document area or how the document looks in the workspace?

The former can be changed by going to File > Document Setup... On the Dimensions Tab change the Dimension settings to your required dimensions, you can also change the unit type from Pixels to, millimetres, centimetres, metres. and points, inches, feet and yards. https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/GetStarted/DocumentSetup.html
1473679901_ScreenShot2018-09-24at07_05_09.png.cd451540bb971a4fea135e6aa63fd5bd.png

The latter is just a matter of zooming in or out, press the <Z> key to select zoom, once you have the document to your desired zoom level press the <V> key to select the Move Tool. https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/GetStarted/zoom.html

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, Fixx said:

This affects all Affinity software. I suppose Affinity uses the screen size of laptop built in screen and ignores the main screen size.

I assume from your screenshot you mean opening a new document window while the app is in Separated mode. If so, on my 27" iMac, the window opens to about ½ the total screen size. That is many times larger than any postage stamp I have ever seen!

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 hours ago, firstdefence said:

Are you talking about the size of the document area or how the document looks in the workspace?

The former can be changed by going to File > Document Setup... On the Dimensions Tab change the Dimension settings to your required dimensions, you can also change the unit type from Pixels to, millimetres, centimetres, metres. and points, inches, feet and yards. https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/GetStarted/DocumentSetup.html
1473679901_ScreenShot2018-09-24at07_05_09.png.cd451540bb971a4fea135e6aa63fd5bd.png

The latter is just a matter of zooming in or out, press the <Z> key to select zoom, once you have the document to your desired zoom level press the <V> key to select the Move Tool. https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/GetStarted/zoom.html

Oops....I can see where that screen shot could lead to some confusion.  I was talking about how the document looks in the workspace.  So to adjust the size of the workspace, I just zoom in or out??

7 hours ago, ADJusacruiser said:

So to adjust the size of the workspace, I just zoom in or out??

yes

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Something else: Is there a good reason that one can not change the canvas size with numerial (pixel) input from within the Crop Tool? I do this all of the time in Photoshop.
In Affinity there's pixel fields (when Crop is set to unconstrained) but it unfortunately read-only (marked in screenshot) Why isn't there a way to enter pixel dimensions in every mode where this made sense (should be all modes, except those presets which are already supposed to set the crop to some exact pixel dimensions). 

2018-09-24_22h35_07.thumb.jpg.d5764336301942b2a1ec9e82ded77871.jpg

Under the Mode option select Absolute Dimensions then you can type what you want.

11 minutes ago, hifred said:

Thank you!  Is it also somehow possible to type dimensions (just one  if the one has a preset ratio active)?
Example: Active preset = 4:3, User types in 800 in the first box, Affinity crops to 800x600.

No. While you can type in the box in that situation, you're changing the ratio if you do it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

No. While you can type in the box in that situation, you're changing the ratio if you do it.

Sorry - what I meant indeed would require a second set of input boxes. One defines the ratio, the second would allow dialing in one edge-lenght - without having to previously know the second value. I had wondered if that was already possible.

35 minutes ago, hifred said:

Sorry - what I meant indeed would require a second set of input boxes. One defines the ratio, the second would allow dialing in one edge-lenght - without having to previously know the second value. I had wondered if that was already possible.

No that's not possible but why not pop over to the requests section of the forum and make a request for this feature. 

48 minutes ago, hifred said:

I think (but don't know 100%) that feature is coming soon.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Thanks. If one modified the dimension boxes in unconstrained mode, so that they don't just display the dimensions of the rectangle drawn in the viewpoint but also allowed Input one btw. could get rid of the absolute dimensions mode.

Coming from Photoshop I would not look for that separate mode - unconstrained means unconstrained, regardless of input method chosen. Now I'm waiting what R C-R has to say :o).