heliumend

Closing Curves with Overlapping Nodes

I create two paths that overlap each other, apply "Divide", remove all internal nodes until I have two curves that have overlapping nodes. You use the join curves and two nodes become one. However, if you close the curve for two overlapping nodes they do not become one node. They also aproximate their curve which results in a loop.

Is there a way to close the curve by combining the two overlapping nodes?

Hi heliumend.

Are the nodes really overlapping? To make sure enable Snap to selected curves in the context toolbar for the node tool and drag one node over the other until a purple square or circle appear (purple means they are overlapping). Then click on Join Curves button from the action section.

I use the divide tool on paths, so I assumded the nodes were already overlapping. I have uploaded a video example that shows what I'm doing. I draw 3 shapes that intersect. Select them all and then apply the divide tool. I remove a few shapes. I then begin joining the three seperate curves by a compination of breaking, joining and closing the curves. The join curves has no problem reducing, what appears to be overlapping nodes, to one node. Applying the closed curve and I have two seperate nodes not one. On my second attempt before  closing the curve, I turn on snapping to make sure the nodes are indeed overlapping. The close curve then works and reduces down to one node.

Closing Curves.mov

Has there been any movement on this. I still seem to be suffering this bug. Doesn't matter how close I get the points, zoom all the way down, I still have two distinct points.

Also is it possible to snap to anchor points. I feel this might be a good solution to this annoying bug?

Hello, I'm a new user to Affinity Designer on Mac and I'm really struggling with this issue. I've searched online and in this forum for solutions and I see the issue keeps coming up over and over, and I'm kind of surprised that this is still not fixed.

It seems to be virtually impossible to reliably close curves by merging nodes. The procedure I'm following is:

In node tool context menu Snap, turn on "Align to nodes of selected curves" (note: frequent advice from moderator in forum is to turn on "Snap to selected curves" but that's no longer the name of the option)

Make a diagonal straight line with the pen tool

Duplicate with command-J

Transform->Flip Horizontal

Move one over horizontally so the near ends of the diagonal align

Highlight both in layers window

Zoom in to max zoom around close nodes

Use node tool to drag end node of one curve onto other curve's end node until vertical and horizontal alignment lines (red and green? I'm colorblind, can't tell) appear, and also dragged node turns orange. 

Drag a box around the two superimposed nodes with node tool to select both

Click Action: Join Curves

The two curves in the layers window merge into a single layer. But if I use the node tool to drag the node, a new segment has been created, rather than merging the two nodes into one.

I've read numerous times in different forum threads, people running into this same problem. Going back 2-3 years at least. So it seems like this is a longstanding known bug that's not being fixed. 

Can anyone clarify for me any other solution here??

Thanks!

Hi dperlman,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently this is a little unreliable. Depending on the objects/curves it may work correctly in some cases merging both nodes into a single one or just connect them through an additional (invisible line) line in others. This issue is already logged along with others and will be revised when possible. Boolean/nodes operations are a little tricky to get right and require some time and testing to make them work correctly.