You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BUG: Offset Paragraph Leaves Page

Here's a case where you can get text to position itself off the page (very quickly) and not be able to return it to its original position (apparently, even by Undo).

1. I started with a multi-page document of 12 pages with a two-page horizontal spread starting with the right page.
        R
    L  R
    L  R
    L  R
    L
  2. Create a large Art Block of text that spans the width of the page, placing it on the lower-third of the first page.
    ABC
  3. Using the Move Tool, select the text, so it has the blue selection marks around it.
  4. Under the View / Studio / Paragraph panel, extend the Spacing item.
  5. Change the "Use space before:" option to Always
  6. Put the mouse cursor over the Space Before Paragraph icon.
  7. Now click and hold down, moving the mouse to the right -- the text will quickly shoot down the page (and often off it onto the subsequent right hand pages).
    The points will increment.
  8. Continuing to drag, move the mouse back to the left.  Although the points will now decrement back to zero, the text continues to move downward!
    It's not possible to move it back by zeroing out the offset.

I've been able to get the text to go so far down that it "vanishes" -- that is, I can't zoom out even super-far-away and find anything to select.  Is it gone? Is it just unreachable?

13 hours ago, wls said:

I've been able to get the text to go so far down that it "vanishes" -- that is, I can't zoom out even super-far-away and find anything to select.  Is it gone? Is it just unreachable?

I'm on Windows, but I'd suggest trying  the Mac equivalents for ctrl+0, or ctrl+alt+0, or ctrl+alt+shift+0, or I'd use the Navigation panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Okay, that is nasty. First off it shouldn't work. Space Before the paragraph shouldn't work by moving the Text Box around on the page. I couldn't get anything using the Space After. Using a Text Frame gives expected results.

As Walt.Farrell pointed out using the Navigator  will allow you to find the moved and annoyingly invisible Art Text. You can also use the Layers panel (On the original page) to find the text and then cut it and paste it back on the page. Walt's suggested key combinations yielded me no results of note.

Another Mac Bug I think.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Walt's suggested key combinations yielded me no results of note.

Those are all from the View > Zoom menu on Windows.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The goal here wasn't to find the missing text (BTW, I did a few back and forths and got to a point where zooming out completely didn't help at all), but rather that incrementing the field in this way with the mouse cursor (on a Mac) made the text move downward, then decrementing the field in this way also made the text move downward. It was like it was altering the position using the value of the box rather than some origin and delta.

A little experimentation showed that this happened when the object with text was selected, opposed to the text cursor being inside the object.

If no one else is able to recreate the behavior as I did several times, I'll see if I can do it again and post a video... if that helps.

Sorry, I just re-read my post and I see I was far from clear. What you said in your first post was duplicated by me. Foolishly I included the other stuff as extra information about what wouldn't give that nasty result. [mea-culpa emoticon] 

I honestly can't think of anything that would cause this because Nothing Should Happen at all. It is kind of like your TV remote starts your car, puts it in gear and crashes it into something three blocks away.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.