You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy image from PDF to Photoshop is ALWAYS low res?

It's not easy to understand what you are trying to do. Usually, pdf files do not contain psd-files. If you are trying to open an image within a pdf to Photoshop why don''t you open it directly in Photoshop? Why is Affinity Publisher involved in the process?

Sorry to sound harsh, but you are in error when you suggest that pdf files usually do not contain psd files. This particlular pdf does and when I open in Publisher - it is hi-res. I copy the image from Publisher to Photoshop and it is low res . . . . I am happy to send the pdf in a link  if it helps understand.

It is a little sensitive as it is an advert page for a magazine at present in print.

OK here is the page - open the pdf in Publisher and you will understand.

The particular file I copied and pasted to check was the "Grouping Britain's Railways"

Open the pdf in Publisher and then you can see that the image IS a .psd file that was used in the pdf and IS high res. try copying and pasting into Photoshop to recreate my issue.

578 BACKTRACK OCTOBER 2018.pdf

6 minutes ago, Capodastra said:

Here is the image extracted from Publisher and pasted into Photoshop. No tell me that is NOT a .psd file that has come out of the pdf file.

Just because you have saved it as a PSD does not mean it is a PSD inside the PDF. Again, PDFs have no concept of what a PSD file is.

The 9 images are in fact JPG encoded files inside the PDF.

Now I am confused, you will need to explain this further.

The page I created as a hi-res pdf for print contained 8 .psd files.

The page would be "flattened" for the printers according to their specs.

When Publisher opened the pdf it shows the images as .psd files NOT JPEGs.

Did you copy the image and paste it into Photoshop?

If you paste it into Photoshop you have (or have to create) an image in advance. Pasting now the clipboard content makes this image a PSD, because now it has layers.

If you „unembed" your image from Publisher to your hard disc, you get a .tif. And, by the way, it is shown as a .tif, if you look at it in Publishers’ resource manager.

7 minutes ago, Capodastra said:

When Publisher opened the pdf it shows the images as .psd files NOT JPEGs.

I just downloaded your file, opened it in Publisher, and looked in the Resource Manager:

embeddedtif.png.ecee08d27a0b1aca662463d2f6c6ff35.png

Looks like a bunch of .tif (not .psd, nor .jpg) files in that PDF, to me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

I just downloaded your file, opened it in Publisher, and looked in the Resource Manager:

embeddedtif.png.ecee08d27a0b1aca662463d2f6c6ff35.png

Looks like a bunch of .tif (not .psd, nor .jpg) files in that PDF, to me.

They are JPG encoded TIFFs. I didn't mention the image format, just the encoding. 

Walt and Mike, the images you can see -  in page 2 (see screenshot attached)n are .psd files - THEY ARE DEFINIETLY .psd files because tiff's don't have transparent backgrounds??

I am not being confrontational here, I have waited ages for Publisher, having been an InDesign users for many, many years - and maybe I am not getting the way Publisher works yet, but these ARE .psd files so why does the resource manage call them tiffs? Or could it be a tiff PREVIEW?

HELP!

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 16.48.08.png

Did you rerad my post above? If you unembed the file via Ressource Manager, it is definitely saved as a tif. Pasting the image from Publisher into Photoshop, requires an existing (open) image in Photoshop, otherwise you can’t paste it. In this case the cover is pasted as a new layer into the existing image and – all of a sudden –you have a PSD. A PSD is never part of a PDF.

If I delete everything(!) of your PDF within Publisher except the image in question (this makes sense, because of many weird masks), then unembed it, it will be saved as a tif  with 1239 x 1845 px, 96 dpi(!)

If I open your PDF in Acrobat Pro and hand over the image to Photoshop, it has the exact same dimensions and resolution

Mike,

I have worked in this trade for too many years to accept that tiffs HAVE transparent background - you make the whole image transparent, but that's it in my understanding.

The .psd file has  transparent background with an on screen tiff preview . . . see screenshot . . . the file on the left is a .tiff and the right hand side is a .psd with a tiff preview.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 17.01.27.png

54 minutes ago, MikeW said:

They are JPG encoded TIFFs. I didn't mention the image format, just the encoding. 

Thanks, Mike. Didn't understand that subtlety :)

For my edification, how do you examine the file to see that kind of info?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Either Acrobat or pdfToolbox can examine the internal construction of a pdf. I used Acrobat this time. Specifically its Object Inspector as it is quick.

Well that is something I have learned today. Thank you. Have spend years creating .psd files.

. . . why the low res when pasted in Photoshop which was my main question - sorry got lost along the way? The original .psd image was a little larger I think at 300dpi, so why is there only 96dpi?

I really apologise for the length of this conversation, but the main thing I do not understand is this:

If I copy a .psd linked file from within InDesign and paste into Photoshop it appears as hi-res.

If I do this in Publisher it appears as low res.

28 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Further to this issue...

Capodastra, you may not have realized TIFFs can have transparency because ID doesn't support them.

In any case, here is an image in Acrobat and using the Object Inspector. The image is using JPG compression/encoding. This is ID's default type. Note the line at the bottom of the red rectangle, filters:

capture-002235.png.4c36306f53c7946f6b67b889b3e4be6e.png

Here's another ID PDF and I have set the compression to ZIP and this is how it shows up:

capture-002238.png.e0493905c8132c23ee9b67c14cf1a847.png

If no compression is used then that line is blank.

27 minutes ago, Capodastra said:

. . . why the low res when pasted in Photoshop which was my main question - sorry got lost along the way? The original .psd image was a little larger I think at 300dpi, so why is there only 96dpi?

Is the actual pixel size of the image changing or only the DPI setting?

I understand the filter, what I did not completely understand was why or how Publisher differs from InDesign (not for comparison sake only) to understand how Infinity Publisher handles files). It is so different from InDesign (what I am so used to) . . . it would take quite a journey to understand or learn the complexities of this new software.

I have appreciated help, but it has made me reluctant to continue seeking the help if the treatment would be so negative my some.

Screen Shot 2018-09-25 at 18.20.34.png

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.