You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD files into After Effects - questions

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has a consistent way to get an AD file into AE (like many have done with Illustrator files). This is what I know so far from trying Illustrator files.

1. Convert anything CMYK to RGB

2. No eps files

3. Need to "release layers" - is this possible in AD?

I guess I could save as PS file but I am concerned about rasterization. Anyone have any experience with that?

Any and all help welcome!  Thanks in advance.

1. Okay, you're on the right track with doing the CMYK to RGB conversion right off the bat. An easier way to go--if you don't need the artwork for print as well--might be to create for RGB up front.

2a. According to this chart:

https://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/kb/supported-file-formats-effects-cs4.html

you should be able import .eps files. If that turns out to be "only Illustrator-exported eps files" and Adobe didn't say it, try this:

- Export a pdf from AD that contains ONLY vectors, no drop shadows, patterns, gradients or any effects that are likely to be rasterized in the conversion to PDF.

- Import that PDF into After Effects. The vector data should be interpreted in AE and open up like an AI file. There is a possibility of color change, so keep an eye out for that.

- According to that link I posted earlier, the "continuous rasterization" should activate automatically for that image. Continuous rasterization is an AE feature that allows for the continuous anti-aliasing of vector files imported into AE so that you keep smooth edges while animating.

2b. IF exporting a PDF out of AD fails to work importing into AE, do what I do when working in Motion, HitFilm or Natron--export from AD as PNG files (drop background; export only selected object and export at 200% or larger if you anticipate changing the size of your image in the process of animation).

3. "Release to Layers" is a feature that Adobe hijacked from Freehand (orignally used in tandem with Flash) when they bought Macromedia back in 2005 and put it in Illustrator for use in After Effects. Other than Freehand and Illustrator, I'm not aware of another software that has that capability. A workaround might be to do what had to be done in the old days before Illustrator had it, which was to export each layer individually.

4. Consider working in Motion ($50 on the Mac App Store) or Natron (Free; open-source; downloadable from http://natron.inria.fr) which has an interface similar to Nuke but is still in its infancy. It's only been out of beta for about 4-5 months but has a LOT of potential.

Thanks for the reply Quarian. I've tried all of what you mentioned. eps files are not supported, at least from AD. PDF and Png import just fine but I will have to separately import each layer to work with (animate) them. It's a little bit of a pain but working in AD vs Illustrator is worth it.

I have worked extensively in Motion but there are a number of things I need to do that Motion can't. I would love to just stay in Motion but they need to update it bad. I checked into Natron and it looks promising for sure but I don't think it can import layers of an AD file either.