You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clipping Indicator Macro

unni

I am learning to make small and simple macros. Felt the need for a clipping indicator and made one after browsing
the internet. There is nothing original from my side other than implementing in AP the ideas already available in public domain.

Two layers were made, blend options of underlying layer input box were set to 0.1% for shadows clip indicator and 99.9% for
highlight clip indicator. Then both were put in a group. While running this macro, the top most layer should be selected. Otherwise,
it will get created in-between other layers. If it happens, after creation, the group can be dragged to the top. It is better to keep the indicator group
deselected always and tick it to select only when required (to check clipping) .

In the process, I found out that the input % setting accepts and responds even to three digits after the decimal though the display shows
only one digit. For example, you can input 0.001, 0.002 etc . The software differentiates these values. I found this out by zooming the
layers and observing the blend colour. It responds when inputting to three digit precision. You can see pixels coming up little by little
when inputting such small values. Since the input box shows only percentages instead of 0 to 255, I dont know how the percentage maps
to the 8 bit values. Practically, I found 0.1% for shadows and 99.9% for highlight clipping is okay. That is : Any pixel of the underlying layer
with value less than 0.1% will show up in BLUE and above 99.9% will show up in RED. For further precision, macro can be re-adjusted to 0.01
and 99.99 or any such, as desired.

If there is any mistake in the above, please give feedback so that I can correct myself.

The macro got saved as .afmacro. The letter 's' in the end is missing. I am yet to figure out how to save as .afmacros. So to import my file,
one has to go to the Macro tab and not library tab. From the macro tab, click on the last icon "import". Then locate my file in the download
location or wherever and proceed. Once it appears on the screen, go to "add to library" button which is the second one.

Clipping Indicator.afmacro

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2018 at 4:33 PM, unni said:

The macro got saved as .afmacro. The letter 's' in the end is missing. I am yet to figure out how to save as .afmacros. So to import my file,

A single macro is simply saved as an .afmacro file. Libraries are saved as .afmacros. Under the Macros Studio Tab, there is an option to add an individual macro to a library. You can add it to an existing library, or create a new one (ake a new Category). 

If you have only the single macro, there is no real advantage in its having its own category.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 hour ago, John Rostron said:

If you have only the single macro, there is no real advantage in its having its own category.

Not if it’s only for your own use on a desktop version of Affinity Photo, but if you want to make it available to iPad users it needs to be in *.macros format.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

11 hours ago, αℓƒяє∂ said:

Not if it’s only for your own use on a desktop version of Affinity Photo, but if you want to make it available to iPad users it needs to be in *.macros format.

Never having laid hands on an iPad, I have to plead ignorance of its foibles.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

1 minute ago, John Rostron said:

Never having laid hands on an iPad, I have to plead ignorance of its foibles.

John

I guess you forgot about the linked post that you were kind enough to give me a ‘Like’ for! ;)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 10/31/2018 at 8:49 AM, αℓƒяє∂ said:

I guess you forgot about the linked post that you were kind enough to give me a ‘Like’ for! ;)

You are quite right. I probably forgot because you supplied the .afmacros version. I had not realised the significance of the different suffix. I probably assumed they just wanted a library version. Is it actually the case that the iPad requires its macros to be in libraries?

John