You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Integration of something like TinyPNG.com

Hey lovely Serif,

Would it be possible to integrate a smarter export option for PNG's that are sliced or otherwise exported.

The default export produces some pretty hefty PNG file sizes, and at the moment I'm running them through TinyPNG.com after export.

Savings are significant. Typically around 60-75% smaller files. So 200kb retina images are being going down to 50kb with no visibly discernible differences (Although optimisation has taken place) (Examples attached).

So there is some loss going on, but it is nothing like the sort we used to see with JPEG compression.

I know gulp.js also has the option to integrate a similar compression into its workflow, but either way, I'd like to think that there would be a tick box in the export settings to enable this sort of file size crushing by default from the Affinity apps.

Thanks for your time.

Stephen

post-4490-0-92169200-1427487513_thumb.png

post-4490-0-78144700-1427487525_thumb.png

Png 24 is a bitmap, there's no compression. That means every pixel is accounted for exactly. You can interlace it and play with the alpha channel, but that is about it. If they are following the format, then it should be the same as any other file.

Photoshop has a save for web feature which strips some of the overhead, but Affinity is not doing anything wrong. I think the option to save without an alpha channel might help. "Saving without background of selected" didn't change the file size. I think that is a bug, or at the least poorly worded in English. If you are getting 75% savings I find it hard to believe without seeing some screenshots.

Edit: Well I'm surprised. I missed the attached images because they didn't load for me at first. I can't replicate this.

I can, but I can't figure out why one has alpha channel and other does not, yet both files say they do.

Hey lovely Serif,

Would it be possible to integrate a smarter export option for PNG's that are sliced or otherwise exported.

The default export produces some pretty hefty PNG file sizes, and at the moment I'm running them through TinyPNG.com after export.

Savings are significant. Typically around 60-75% smaller files. So 200kb retina images are being going down to 50kb with no visibly discernible differences (Although optimisation has taken place) (Examples attached).

So there is some loss going on, but it is nothing like the sort we used to see with JPEG compression.

I know gulp.js also has the option to integrate a similar compression into its workflow, but either way, I'd like to think that there would be a tick box in the export settings to enable this sort of file size crushing by default from the Affinity apps.

Thanks for your time.

Stephen

• Staff

As shown by the different optimisers, there are many techniques you can use to write the same PNG differently and we can look at this in order to compress files more effectively - but at the cost of speed. That's not a problem. Also, we definitely need to be able to write a non-transparent RGB8 PNG image (24bit) so that's on the way too :)