You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Discussion split from - Visual Design & Illustration Journal

Michelangelo_

While the idea of that sounds great, for those that wants to learn from what I create, I don't want to share the original files. Why? It doesn't help someone when they are learning. When someone is learning they have to dissect things on their own and ask how is that done?

Like everything that I am making here is all about shapes, abstract and another thing which can't be described with words is "feeling" or "self expressions", there is only so much someone can learn from a file. That's the reason why I don't share PSD's nor plan to "sell" psd's as some other creators does.

I do share files to peoples that ask, from time to time. Depending how I feel about it. Hope that answer your question.

@Michelangelo_

9 hours ago, BrianHermelijn said:

While the idea of that sounds great, for those that wants to learn from what I create, I don't want to share the original files. Why? It doesn't help someone when they are learning. When someone is learning they have to dissect things on their own and ask how is that done?

Like everything that I am making here is all about shapes, abstract and another thing which can't be described with words is "feeling" or "self expressions", there is only so much someone can learn from a file. That's the reason why I don't share PSD's nor plan to "sell" psd's as some other creators does.

I do share files to peoples that ask, from time to time. Depending how I feel about it. Hope that answer your question

Thanks for the reply :) It make sense but this is not your personal blog, this is a forum for learning ad share;  I think this is diferent between the same post, for years, and a new post for each new work. It is a question of consistency and weight of visibility in a forum made to share and not only show serial works.

You made very good stuff but the real pourpose of the forum is "share", especially if you decide to be visible thanks to the Affinity.
This, in my opinion, is the difference between showing and teaching everyone, not just to some users.

thanks

@Michelangelo_

I don't believe in such statement, because I am sharing my work here, that I am suppose to share my files. It's the creators decision if they share their original files. You might as well, tell to all creators in "Share your work" section, that they all, are suppose to share their original files, and I can assure you, they will respond the same way.

No one, literally no one is obligated to share their Affinity File if you posting on this forum, Illustrator File if you posting on Illustrator forums etc. Please take this discussion to either a new thread or https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/67951-discussion-what-is-share-your-work-section-to-you/

Thank you
Brian Hermelijn

On 9/18/2018 at 2:48 AM, BrianHermelijn said:

I don't believe in such statement, because I am sharing my work here, that I am suppose to share my files. It's the creators decision if they share their original files. You might as well, tell to all creators in "Share your work" section, that they all, are suppose to share their original files, and I can assure you, they will respond the same way.

No one, literally no one is obligated to share their Affinity File if you posting on this forum, Illustrator File if you posting on Illustrator forums etc. Please take this discussion to either a new thread or https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/67951-discussion-what-is-share-your-work-section-to-you/

Thank you
Brian Hermelijn

I know the rules of the forum but you have not answered my most important question.
Why do you use a single post for all jobs instead of creating a new one for each design. You're the only one doing it, what's the reason? This is not a private blog but a forum; if you do so you have more visibility than everyone else, maybe this is against the rules of the forum or am I wrong?

thanks!

• Staff

@Michelangelo_

You have made your point, and this may well not be his own personal blog, but equally it is not your personal forum. I think you have made your point and if @BrianHermelijn wants to use the thread (that he created) like this I have no problem with it. If you do not like it simply look away, but please don't post here telling him he is using this thread incorrectly or asking him to justify his posting process.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

35 minutes ago, Michelangelo_ said:

I know the rules of the forum but you have not answered my most important question.
Why do you use a single post for all jobs instead of creating a new one for each design. You're the only one doing it, what's the reason? This is not a private blog but a forum; if you do so you have more visibility than everyone else, maybe this is against the rules of the forum or am I wrong?

thanks!

Without wanting to get into a flame war I have to ask why you care. You don't have to look at this thread and I, for one, enjoy getting notifications when Brian uploads a new image and see no reason at all why he should share files if he doesn't want to.

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

4 hours ago, Phil_rose said:

doesn't want to.

we are confusing things: why is only one post used for years?

if everyone does so what happens?

Can you explain to me the relationship between the first image (over 2 years ago) and the last one?

How much this post is more visible than others for the repetition of cotents?

these are my questions, and I wonder if this is fair to other users.

no controversy, I love some work;   is the question of meritocracy and democracy, even in a forum

Screen Shot 5.jpg

• Staff

Gentlemen, I have split this discussion about the other thread into its own thread. There is also already a discussion on the purpose of this forum and how to use it. Please do not disrail the original thread again. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I agree with @BrianHermelijn I think of it as being considerate not to proliferate the Share your work forum with lots of single posts when a single post with multiple works will suffice. As for share original work that is entirely up to the artist, the art you create has a value. I whole-heartedly support Brians choice to decide when he wants to share and I would not think any less of him if he never did share.

15 hours ago, Michelangelo_ said:

Can you explain to me the relationship between the first image (over 2 years ago) and the last one?

A single post with multiple works shows the artists progress over time and the subtle style changes as the artists life experiences affect them, you also get to see how their skills improve and how they apply new techniques they've found or learned.

15 hours ago, Michelangelo_ said:

How much this post is more visible than others for the repetition of cotents?

It's as visible as any post be it a single image post or a multiple image post. Some artists post several images showing the development of a piece of work and will also show wireframe images if the image is vector. Some artists produce more art than others, so a single post with multiple images is a space saver and a good way to organise shared work.

Freedom of choice is more important than democracy. Democracy is not freedom, it is majority over minority.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

On 9/23/2018 at 12:24 AM, Michelangelo_ said:

no controversy, I love some work;   is the question of meritocracy and democracy, even in a forum

@Michelangelo_

The fact that the words "meritocracy" and "democracy" are being used here blows my mind. Even talking about what is "fair" and what is not, in this context, sounds a bit out of touch for me.

This is not a contest, neither is a competition.

Furthermore, I would argue:

• Single thread means less exposition, not more. You won't flood a forum if all your stuff is kept together, right?
  • @BrianHermelijn creates flawless artwork across many styles, and engages in conversation with those who have a question or a comment. That is what give him whatever amount of visibility you may think he gets.
  • Nobody "gets visibility thanks to Affinity". Is the other way around. We the users help by using it, talking about it, sharing our work and using the right hashtags offsite.
  • Passive aggressive rhetoric rarely works.