You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello! So I recently bought AD, and I'm loving it however I keep having a REALLY annoying issue, and I don't know how to solve it. (My fiance bought it along-side me, and they're having the exact same issue.)

So to explain the issue; I'm using the Node Tool to create shapes, and designs. However if I want to close whatever shape I'm making; sometimes it doesn't close, and it gives me the option to continue my shape after it's closed the shape. This seems like a really cool tool to have my arsenal, but I'd rather it just close the shape when I want to close the shape, and then use a hotkey if I'd like to continue in the future

If I click here; it will not close the shape, and it will allow me to continue creating nodes using the same shape UNLESS I hit escape.

.vEiwAmt.png

If I click here; it will close the shape.

1OKjSDN.png

To sum it all up; I would like the bottom screenshot to consistently be the result of me hovering over the starter node. Not the top screenshot.

Thank you for reading this, and I hope you have a nice day!

Your screenshot shows that you are using the Pen Tool, not the Node Tool. The Pen Tool will close the shape when you click on the starting node but not if you are only close to it (because sometimes a user might want to add nodes very close to the starting node instead of closing the shape). When you are actually over the starting node the Pen Tool indicates that by adding the tiny circle 'badge' to the Pen Tool icon that you can see in your second screenshot:1297790497_Pentoolclose.jpg.820d7849ad0ce3bfdc081672393ee9c1.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, R C-R said:

Your screenshot shows that you are using the Pen Tool, not the Node Tool. The Pen Tool will close the shape when you click on the starting node but not if you are only close to it (because sometimes a user might want to add nodes very close to the starting node instead of closing the shape). When you are actually over the starting node the Pen Tool indicates that by adding the tiny circle 'badge' to the Pen Tool icon that you can see in your second screenshot:1297790497_Pentoolclose.jpg.820d7849ad0ce3bfdc081672393ee9c1.jpg

Ahhh thank you for correcting me! I've been calling that the node tool this entire time! haha Just to clarify; I did indeed mean the Pen Tool; not the node tool. Also; so I'm aware of why it happens, but I'd really like a way for it not to happen. Like I said earlier I do think that it's an awesome feature, but with the way that I personally use AD; I'd rather it be something I can toggle on/off as needed.

Do you know if there's a way that I can do that?

12 minutes ago, Popuri said:

... but with the way that I personally use AD; I'd rather it be something I can toggle on/off as needed.

I am not sure I understand what you want. Are you saying you would like the Pen Tool to somehow know if you want to add another node to an open curve you are drawing or close it without adding another node? That seems a bit much to ask of any app!

For example, say you have started drawing a curve & have created 3 nodes. There is no way for the tool to know if you want to continue to add more nodes or close the curve by clicking on its first node, other than by where you place the pointer when you click.

Does that make sense to you?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I am not sure I understand what you want. Are you saying you would like the Pen Tool to somehow know if you want to add another node to an open curve you are drawing or close it without adding another node? That seems a bit much to ask of any app!

For example, say you have started drawing a curve & have created 3 nodes. There is no way for the tool to know if you want to continue to add more nodes or close the curve by clicking on its first node, other than by where you place the pointer when you click.

Does that make sense to you?

It does, but that isn't what I'm asking. I'm asking if I could turn off the pen tool trying to somehow know if I want to add another node to an open curve or not. I'm coming from Inkscape, and in inkscape you can just close an open object by clicking on the starter node. You can do that in Affinity Designer too... The issue is that you mouse has to be VERY precise to make it close. Meaning that for people who work while zoomed out; it's awfully difficult to close the object... Again; I'm not saying it's a bad tool. But I am asking if I can turn the tool off though. I don't want what I don't like, and I really dislike how this feature works.

5 minutes ago, GabrielM said:

Hi @Popuri,

Welcome to the forums. 

To end a curve, you can either double-click on your last created node or press ESC. This will close it and you will start to create a new curve :)

Thanks,

Gabe. 

Ohhhh okay double clicking is exactly what I needed! Thank you so much!!!!! 

4 hours ago, GabrielM said:

To end a curve, you can either double-click on your last created node or press ESC. This will close it and you will start to create a new curve :)

On my Mac, neither of those things closes an open curve.

Affinity Photo