You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello !

@Patrick Connor, @AdamW, @MEB and other team member, i just hope you are really taking it and resting and enjoying staying with your friends, family etc... and not touching your laptops for this week-end.

i'm dropping something here for Affinity Publisher (and also the whole product line) but not expecting you to answer or contribute during the week-end, you deserve good rest.

Well, this is a proposition i've been continually forgetting to log here.
Using Publisher (but also Designer and Photo) in our workflow (for those who integrated it already before stable version) we often and even make massive use of stroke and tweaking it is part of our every day thing; i see there is possibility to set a stroke profile after playing with the curve thing to make its aspect fit our need; after doing that curve thing we can save the profile ... but i noticed this, the saved stroke curving profile disappears after saving closing the project (case 1) and we have to remember how it looked like and redo it :$

my request is this, would it be possible to save stroke curve profile as application wide usable thing, like we continually do with colors/gradient palette so we can simply reuse it with old projects or when starting a fresh project ?

i often watch the brothers from Design Art Studio, Olivio Sarikas and even @Bri-Toon tutorial on youtube and for each new projects they have to redo the line stroke profile tweaking over and over for that project, which you must admit is really time consuming.

i would rather, setup a stroke curve profile, save it and know it's application wide (like color some palette) and not document based only and then simply select it in the stroke tab before i draw a new line, then draw my line using pen/pencil tool with that selected profile and see if it fits my desire, this will be helpful for those still using mouse technology and even for those using pen/graphic tablets lacking pressure sensitivity functionality to feel home but also to feel and work with less stress or see their head overheated trying to think or remember how this used to work or to be but just focus on their design and produce great things.

Please make the curved stroke profile saving applicable application wide in Publisher and if it has the success it should have, then replicate/expand it to Designer and Photo.
@firstdefence, @Petar Petrenko, and all others ... your inputs to round the corners of this idea/proposition is expected and will be of great help !

Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

This has been an annoying issue for some time for me...It certainly would be a useful feature to be able to save the line/stroke profile....Especially in AD..

However there are a couple of workarounds that I have been using to make it a bit easier to deal with

Save a blank template file (sized to requirements)
1. Set up a template with Stroke Profiles already contained. (If you save a blank at size file and include profiles they are remembered!).Just take the time to consider which ones would be most useful.

Use styles (you cannot export the profile..but you can export the style)
2. Make use of styles...Add line profiles as line styles (used to do this a lot!)...but moved to 1

Hope this helps......!

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

17 minutes ago, StuartRc said:

This has been an annoying issue for some time for me...It certainly would be a useful feature to be able to save the line/stroke profile....Especially in AD..

However there are a couple of workarounds that I have been using to make it a bit easier to deal with

Save a blank template file (sized to requirements)
1. Set up a template with Stroke Profiles already contained. (If you save a blank at size file and include profiles they are remembered!).Just take the time to consider which ones would be most useful.

Use styles (you cannot export the profile..but you can export the style)
2. Make use of styles...Add line profiles as line styles (used to do this a lot!)...but moved to 1

Hope this helps......!

Hi @StuartRc see how many steps you take to achieve a simple thing that should take a simple click and draw ?
That why it's a great to make it possible to save line/stroke profile application wide for reuse on any project (new or old) without having to redo/reinvent the whole thing.
Not only that, it will help us not feel reject because we have not a blazing or killing drawing tablet with pen pressure functionality when we love our already existing but great mouse.

Thank you so much for your input !
Much appreciated.

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

@Arnaud Mez But Styles are application wide.

• Create a new Style Category (perhaps called "Strokes")
  • Draw a line and set your  preferred line weight, join type, cap type, pressure profile, colour.
  • Create a new style from selection, and rename it to something appropriate ("4pt Black Wobbly")
  • Repeat until you have a library of strokes that you commonly use.

These are now available in every document you create, and can be exported / imported to share between devices.

To me this is exactly like creating a palette of colours, and I can't really imagine a simpler way for it to work.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

3 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

@Arnaud Mez But Styles are application wide.

• Create a new Style Category (perhaps called "Strokes")
  • Draw a line and set your  preferred line weight, join type, cap type, pressure profile, colour.
  • Create a new style from selection, and rename it to something appropriate ("4pt Black Wobbly")
  • Repeat until you have a library of strokes that you commonly use.

These are now available in every document you create, and can be exported / imported to share between devices.

To me this is exactly like creating a palette of colours, and I can't really imagine a simpler way for it to work.

i see that, well thank you @Aammppaa this is good, similar to what said @StuartRc 
Well i still think or believe this should be improved, style or just stroke profile saving from top category; in fact, something have to be done to make it easier for us to work with.
Also, is this mentioned as something possible in the affinity workbook ? i don't have one but surely will consider to buy one of these days.

my point is, less tech or tricky stuffs and just draw > set curve style > save profile application wide.
In fact, this came right on my eyes when i looked at Affinity photo for iPad, there pressure is just blazing amazing and eye catching and i though whew would be great idf i can draw  a line like that on desktop without the need of tons of tricks !

but you scored here; let me try that and come back here with results.

Blessings !

---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF

• 1 year later...