You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Length of straight pen lines or Rectangles.

Hello all, I have downloaded a trial version of Designer, so that I can create templates for my leather designs. So I am going to be using the Pen tool most of the time or the rectangle. The problem I have come across is that I cannot see where I can determine the length of the sides nor whether my straight lines are at right-angles when drawing with the pen 'free-hand'.

If I have missed where to find it please be kind to this old fella, I may be using the wrong software application.

Many thanks

Graham

Hi, GrimR,

When you draw a rectangle, you should get a H & W readout as it is made. Typically, snapping to grid needs to be turned on for size changes in regular increments. But if working free hand, after the rectangle is roughed in, one can use the transform studio panel, usually located at the bottom right corner, to enter exact sizes and positions.

If using the pen, select the polygon line mode, hold down the shift ket, and the lines will be constrained to horizontal, vertical, and 45 degree directions. 

Expect to spend some time looking at vid tutorials, and puzzling out the help files. Once you get the hang of it, the app is really easy to use.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Thanks gdenby, have looked at a few of the youtube vids, but couldn't find one specific. But then, as you say it is time and puzzling out the help files. 
I am of the type of user who wants/needs it to be simple, like the old adage K.I.S.S.

The Serif made tutes are on Vimeo. Check this one

A quick .mov file I made showing how the manipulation of a pen line is displayed real time in the transform panel.

Anecdote. I come from a different frame of reference. When I got my 1st personal computer, and it came w. 2500 pages of docs on how to use it, I was thrilled, and couldn't sleep for the next 3 days. And I didn't even have to make punch cards or teletype tapes. Whee!

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet