You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page Control

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I understand what you're asking for. Can you provide a screenshot that shows that magnifier/zoom slider bar?

Also, for the "reduce the number of mouse clicks" are you referring to the need to double-click on a page in the Pages panel in order to select a page for editing. If so, you may not have discovered the other workflows using that panel which depend on being able to select a page without making it the active page in the view. For example, you can click on a page and ctrl-click on others (or shift-click) to have multiple pages selected, and then you can apply a master to them all, or use spread properties to adjust them all, and some other functions as well.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have attached a shot of the zoom control.  (Only on display when you select the magnifying icon on the tool bar). I appreciate you can use the scroll wheel, but my fingers have difficulty using it. I also appreciate the short cuts Ctl= Ctl- but as they already provide a slider it seems daft not to have the option of permanently displaying it.

The page selection - I created a document that had two master pages and two pages each linked to the individual master. I then close down the Master page tab displaying only the "Pages" tab. The two pages are displayed one above the other. It is an easy task to use the window slider to view either page, You can also double left click on a page and it jumps straight to it. I just think that it would be simpler to have a single left mouse click to navigate between each page.  I appreciate selecting multiple pages might then need a two key selection i.e. hold down the Alt key then mouse click on each page to select multiples. This is not a deal breaker for me - only a suggestion.

As a long time PagePlus user I am a little bit disappointed - I was hoping that the program would have retained many of the options/facilities available in X9 but brought it up to date. As it is I doubt many users of PagePlus will move over to Publisher. Likewise with those using Adobe (myself included). Having said that I have to keep reminding myself this is only a beta version.

1028360169_ZoomSlider.jpg.f473bb80c3ca3b9ec3c99eecbd9d0c3e.jpg

Thanks for the screenshot. I never noticed that in the context menu for the zoom tool.

If you want one that's always available, you might consider using the one in the Navigator panel. It's available regardless of the tool you've selected:
image.png.b0c7556f6b5aeb3389c2e97100fb6157.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Walt, I never saw that - but if they can put it in two places why not have the ability to have it on permanent display or at least provide a choice for that. I suppose with the ability to undock the panel it can be available all the time.

Teach a wise man and he will be yet wiser (teach a fool and you waste your time) - I hope I'm in the former!!

Tks

1 minute ago, Grandadjim said:

why not have the ability to have it on permanent display

That is where they have it on permanent display :)

(But, technically, the context bar is needed for tool-specific information when you have other tools selected. There's no room for the zoom context stuff there in general, and many of us would complain if they took up space somewhere else in the window.)

-- Walt
PC:

Just now, Grandadjim said:

can you do anything about importing direct from a scanner??

Sorry, no :)

-- Walt
PC:

Hello Walt,

Having just installed the latest version I see that someone at Serif had similar thoughts to mine - Navigator tab now displays the zoom slider as part of the tab bar - a very sensible solution.

I did think that having to do two steps to reveal the slider was a bit daft - the old choice was click on the magnifying glass or open the navigator box. Now it's cured....

Thought your advice was spot on - have read a number of your threads - keep up the good work.

Hello Walt,

I am having difficulty exporting accurately to .pdf when there is an object with a linear fill - the start colour of the fill is shown on the pdf but subsequent colours are not shown. I have attached a couple of .jpg images which hopefully will show you what I am talking about. I have tried exporting the 3 colour fill to .pdf a number of times but with no success.

The reason I am exporting to .pdf is because if I print directly from Publisher it adds 2 or 3 spurious vertical black lines to the print (which are not on the page), but if I print the same page as a .pdf it prints correctly - I seem to remember having this problem with PagePlus a few years ago.  I wondered if I am doing something wrong or if it is a bug.

Any suggestions?

3 colour fill.jpg

.pdf version.jpg

32 minutes ago, Grandadjim said:

Hello Walt,

I am having difficulty exporting accurately to .pdf when there is an object with a linear fill - the start colour of the fill is shown on the pdf but subsequent colours are not shown. I have attached a couple of .jpg images which hopefully will show you what I am talking about. I have tried exporting the 3 colour fill to .pdf a number of times but with no success.

The reason I am exporting to .pdf is because if I print directly from Publisher it adds 2 or 3 spurious vertical black lines to the print (which are not on the page), but if I print the same page as a .pdf it prints correctly - I seem to remember having this problem with PagePlus a few years ago.  I wondered if I am doing something wrong or if it is a bug.

Any suggestions?

I would suggest making a new topic in the https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/57-report-bugs-in-publisher-beta-on-mac/ for Mac and for Windows use https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/58-report-bugs-in-publisher-beta-on-windows/

Your printing problems sound to me like a bug for sure.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I agree, Bruce. Both of those sound appropriate for a bug report, and posting in the bug forum is the best way to ensure the Serif staff know of the problem.

-- Walt
PC: