You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1 hour ago, Philcinbath said:

Questions

1) Is there a way to produce a template file?

2) How do I import a Master page of my choice into a new file

Hello @Philcinbath,

@1 : with the latest beta 1.7.0.133 the creation of own template files is introduced. Look at the 'File > New' dialog. There is a 'Page Preset' box at the top where you can define and name your own presets.

@2 : it is possible but only by copy and pasting the contents of the Master Page to the other document. There is no export of Master Pages (yet).

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, Philcinbath said:

There is a menu way to "show master pages" However it is always greyed out

Where do you find that?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 minutes ago, dominik said:

@1 : with the latest beta 1.7.0.133 the creation of own template files is introduced. Look at the 'File > New' dialog. There is a 'Page Preset' box at the top where you can define and name your own presets. 

While I like the new ability to create file presets, I consider that different from templates. A template file would have master pages, styles, and other important document aspects already defined. One can simulate that today by creating a file with those characteristics but without real data and saving it for later reuse. But true template files would be nice.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

57 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

While I like the new ability to create file presets, I consider that different from templates.

Hi @walt.farrell,

thank you for pointing out the difference between presets and templates. 1) maybe I am a little too excited about the new addition. 2) maybe my English is a little limited to immediately recognize the difference at first. But after thinking about it I understand and see the difference between the two.

BTW, I myself have posted about the ability to create own templates independent of AD's or APubs feature set. I just didn't think (completely) about the enhanced possibilities with templates and their content :)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

3 hours ago, Philcinbath said:

Looks like my memory was not 100%

Under menu/document  there is a "view masters" option. That is what is greyed out. Not show master pages 

Same meaning, different words

view masters

Thanks for the clarification. Document > View Masters will be grayed out until you have created a Master Page. You do that from the Pages panel (if it's not showing, View > Studio > Pages).

View Masters is a toggle. When it's off (or grayed out), the "focus" of the Pages panel is on document pages, and the displayed page is a document page. When it's on, the Pages panel focuses on the Master pages, and the displayed page will be a Master page.

-- Walt
PC:

Well done Serif on Beta 133.  in response to requests it now includes new features including
i) when you hover your mouse pointer over a page in the Pages tab, it now shows which master/s applied to that page

1429538112_appliedmasters.PNG.5c18868464e889ce9e620d2740c83164.PNG   No doubt there will be some who think you shouldn't have to hover your mouse over a page to find out but personally I think it's great!

ii) When you start a new document, you can select whether images in your new document should be embedded or linked, again something that many have requested. [In case some people are wondering, I am using the Light user interface rather than the default Dark, while I am experimenting.

443313586_preferlinked.PNG.bfc35bf266626177359cfaeb8cc4ca2c.PNG

Pman

• 1 year later...

Agreed regarding the possibility to create Master Pages templates that we can easily access -- this would be extremely useful.

A potential temporary workaround that I will do is create a file with only a certain group of Master Pages and no other content.

If I need to use the group of Master Pages when creating a new file I will duplicate the original file and use the duplicate Master Pages file for my work...

I am not sure if this is the right place to provide feedback to Affinity Serif but I do hope that Master Pages templates will someday become a reality.

46 minutes ago, Chaumurky said:

Agreed regarding the possibility to create Master Pages templates that we can easily access -- this would be extremely useful.

Hello @Chaumurky and welcome to the forum.

This thread is relatively old. Own template files were introduced recently. This also works for master pages.

You would create a file with a couple of master pages you need. The document itself can be empty but it has to consist of at least one page. Then you go to 'File > Export as Template...' and save it to a directory of your choice.

In the 'File > New' dialog there is a button at the left side that reads 'Templates'. There you once add the folder where your template files are stored. If you then open the before created file with only the master pages in it you have these basically as a starting point.

I hope this helps 🙂
d.