You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flowing Text bug - 1.7.0.133 (split)

I think there's a bug in the flowing of text from one frame to another. I attach a test file to demonstrate this.

1. Click inside the 3-column text frame. 

2. Click on the little (it could usefully be bigger) orangey-red triangle on the frame's right-hand edge. The "new text frame" cursor appears (T in a box).

3. Attempt to drag a new text frame. If it works, move to the new text frame, click inside that, and keep repeating steps 2 and 3.

4. For me, this will sooner or later cause Publisher to crash. Sometimes it happens on the first "flow out" attempt; sometimes only after 2 or 3 or 4 "flow outs" have been completed.

This is on my Windows 10 laptop:
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Pr...
BaseBoard Manufacturer    HP

Graphics (GPU): GeForce GTX 950M

test document (bug demo).afpub

P.S. I wonder if this Text Frame bug is related to another one found by Dominik, here:

10 hours ago, PatrickOfLondon said:

I think there's a bug in the flowing of text from one frame to another. I attach a test file to demonstrate this.

2. Click on the little (it could usefully be bigger) orangey-red triangle on the frame's right-hand edge. The "new text frame" cursor appears (T in a box).

3. Attempt to drag a new text frame. If it works, move to the new text frame, click inside that, and keep repeating steps 2 and 3.

4. For me, this will sooner or later cause Publisher to crash. Sometimes it happens on the first "flow out" attempt; sometimes only after 2 or 3 or 4 "flow outs" have been completed.

Interesting. I cannot reproduce this. It seems to work here.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I just managed to do something similar.

1. File > New
  2. Choose Text Frame tool, create an empty text frame
  3. Switch to Move tool
  4. Double-click on left-middle node of the text frame. At this point everything seemed OK.
  5. Double-click on the left-middle node again. Publisher hangs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Walt,

Yes I can reproduce this, with even fewer steps:

1. Start afpub / File > New / click OK at foot of "New Document" panel

2. Click Frame Text Tool, draw new text frame

3. Without doing anything else, double-click the left-middle handle...

and crash.

I would be curious to know, if you have the time to try it, what happens with you if you open my test document and try my steps at the start of this thread.

On 9/22/2018 at 12:52 AM, PatrickOfLondon said:

This is on my Windows 10 laptop:
Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version    10.0.17134 Build 17134
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Pr...
BaseBoard Manufacturer    HP

Graphics (GPU): GeForce GTX 950M

test document (bug demo).afpub

Here's the error message I get from afpub for this bug:

Unhandled Exception

An Unhandled Exception has occurred and the application cannot continue. The Crash Reporter will be displayed after the application exits. Reference:
a2c3181 e-2e16-4e0f-97b3-46ab41f da954

1 hour ago, PatrickOfLondon said:

I would be curious to know, if you have the time to try it, what happens with you if you open my test document and try my steps at the start of this thread. 

AB crashes here as well, after the execution as described above.

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3447)

• 4 weeks later...

I tried the test document (bug demo).afpub from PatrickOfLondon an had the same problems. After 1 or 2 or 3 steps the Publisher crashed after getting a new text frame with flowing text. First I thought the problem happens only if I used the intern graphic interface Intel HD 620 from my Surface pro, but it happens also by using the intern graphic interface WARP from Publisher.

• 3 weeks later...

Cautiously optimistic that this bug has been resolved in Affinity Publisher Beta version 1.7.0.162.

I have not so far been able to make this version crash, using the test document and the steps described above, which made earlier versions crash.

Can anyone else confirm that it seems to have been resolved?

Thanks to all concerned.

I installed Affinity Publisher Beta version 1.7.0.162 without problems. 

The problem with the test document of PatrickOfLondon seems to have been resolved. I had no crash by testing it after updating the Beta Version.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.