You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

type and leading

Hi Roger - any chance you've got 'justify vertically' enabled on the second one - that would override your leading.

Screen Shot 2018-09-22 at 08.14.00.png

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

leading override is set at 9pt on both the German and the English text and there is a difference for sure. The German was created in INDesign. I imported the PDF into Publisher and noticed that when I add text to the pdf paragraph the leading says it is the same, but it is not.

5 hours ago, Roger terry said:

leading override is set at 9pt on both the German and the English text and there is a difference for sure. The German was created in INDesign. I imported the PDF into Publisher and noticed that when I add text to the pdf paragraph the leading says it is the same, but it is not.

I am having some leading problems too with imported PDFs, converted to afpubs.   When I cut and paste some text, it doesn't always paste in with the leading the way it was before Cut.  It seems to be erratic.  Usually if I highlight the entire thing, fiddle around with the leading arrows, then click on the leading to match the point size of the type, it adjusts pretty well, but this is strange.  Also, if I click on the space between a demand line return before the start a new paragraph, it is not possible (or I haven't a clue) to reduce the leading between the two lines.   I am probably clueless, because Publisher is so grand.  But if not, could we have a little leading help?

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

P.S.  I absolutely love Publisher!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.

On 9/22/2018 at 2:51 PM, jmwellborn said:

I am having some leading problems too with imported PDFs, converted to afpubs.   When I cut and paste some text, it doesn't always paste in with the leading the way it was before Cut.  It seems to be erratic.  Usually if I highlight the entire thing, fiddle around with the leading arrows, then click on the leading to match the point size of the type, it adjusts pretty well, but this is strange.  Also, if I click on the space between a demand line return before the start a new paragraph, it is not possible (or I haven't a clue) to reduce the leading between the two lines.   I am probably clueless, because Publisher is so grand.  But if not, could we have a little leading help?

The PDF I imported on 9/22 was created from a document originated using iCalamus.  I then saved it as an afpub document.  Apparently some pretty strange stuff came along with it, including pages that would print photos and only partial text, leading which was fine on some pages and fouled up on others, some lines in 3 pt type and others in 11 pt type,  wierd margins and many lines that refused to justify entirely, or which became extremely short lines stretched out to the entire text frame.     Today I worked with several documents originated in InDesign and Apple Pages and converted to PDF.   They all imported into Publisher as smoothly as possible.  One - developed for children — included all kinds of type faces, wiggly lines, clip art, and every strange type face in my computer (Tiger teeth, Quake, that sort of thing).  Every one eas perfect, converted to afpub, and could then be edited.   My conclusion is that the problem lies with hidden glitches in iCalamus, and most definitely not with Publisher.  Whew!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Attached is a spread extracted from a bigger document. Please take a look at the second paragraph. Publisher tells me it is myriad pro regular 9/9 and para settings tells me it has 14.5 points before paragraphs which leads me now to believe that in fact each line is a paragraph. However, if I reduce space between paragraphs to 14 point, it really does take 14 point leading and going down to zero for space before para really does result in 9 on 9 point.

Very short.afpub

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.