You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ugly liquify tool needs a make over.

Hi,

I attached a link to a YouTube link that demonstrates how the liquify push tool starts to tear the image and distort in the wrong place.

In the video I’ve shown how using the AP push tool in one area doesn’t have the desired effect. Then how Procreates liquify push tool response as it should by smoothly pushing the pixels not swirling them after a number of strokes.

I made the spacing in the mesh smaller to allow it to be more accurate. I’ve tried this with the larger spacing as well and it made no difference.

Leaving the liquify push tool as it is only adds limitations to a workflow. Please consider fixing this.

Sorry, Andy. Seems I left this unanswered. 

I never use Liquify (for digital painting), and in my many years with PS, it was rare the times I'd do that at any company. I typically prefer to fully re-paint, and in some cases , I just move a selection with feather and paint over so much later that the moved part acts only as a reference puzzle piece, moving of my own sketch parts to experiment fast composition (but only do this some times, depends on even my own mood), or even over a more elaborated painting, just to paint over it fully. The smeared look, even for some minutes till I repaint, puts me down, dunno why. ( I did  not like smearing (ie, with a piece of cloth) oil colors back in the day, and seeing someone in the class doing that even with the naked finger even would make me nervous, lol... )

I recon PS has these several liquify tools, the push (with fade-in-out of strength, of course) would perform like your example in Procreate (srry,  I don't have an iPad, so neither Procreate, mostly money and priorities about it ;) , great device, would love to, but regular bills, desktop hardware and software licenses get in the middle ;D  ) . In any case, the few times I'd use Liquify in PS, I'd never pull so long pixels distance, only slight corrections (but again, even there, I hate so much the digital effect of this, that I paint over so much later that am sure it wouldn't save me time), so I wouldn't notice the benefit if painting using the feature. I can totally see how if making long pulls in your workflow can have a big issue here. And I have read posts and seen videos from a good number of illustrators that use this feature almost more than breathing. (ie, for me is disrupting the color picker problem, as I'm all time doing that as I paint). Part of my problem is that I paint a lot like I learnt to paint (traditional painting) : I wouldn't liquify with oils, not really possible in a clean way for realistic style... :D   . I modified other habits, but never could get really used to that.

That said, for game textures, YEAH, I used that a lot in PS, heck, that was really useful. I dunno others, but I do textures using every bit of advanced functionality in a package, to work the fastest possible, is very different than when I do digital painting. (yep, I know... texturing stuff warcraft style (or any modern title with these aesthetics) is painterly textures, hehehe... been there)

It is an important feature for many. (but as you asked me, nope, no problem for me, due to my very rare workflow )

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Thanks for the reply mate, I totally get that its not a tool you'd use in your process. Especially with my example, it's to the extreme. I don't push it as far as this when using it. However, in the vid you can see how the liquify is making a hole with every stroke rather than push the image to where it needs to go. And by making slight adjustments the tool doesn't act as it should. I only use it for small corrections in the rough sketching stage but still find it difficult to use. It's definitely a nice and quick fixing tool for those problem areas like masking and repositioning pieces of your sketch. Hopefully, it gets fixed before you start using it...if you ever decide to. ;)

Cheers for the feedback

Hi Andych56,

I noticed in the video  that you had the liquify tool hardness set to 40%.

I was having the same problem with AP'S liquify tool but hit on a simple solution that for me  allows the  AP's liquify tool to work as smoothly as Procreate's liquify tool.

In AP's  liquify's context  menu at the bottom of the UI .. simply reduce the the hardness down to zero... and then the Liquify tool works perfectly for my needs.

1950128730_liquifytool.jpg.7759744a79304ddc22773728cddf26ea.jpg

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

I'm new to AP and am getting over the initial steep learning curve to a point where it is becoming fairly useful. However, after attempting to learn AP's liquify, I've decided to go back to using Procreate or Art Studio for this function. The image simply does not follow the mesh when pushed very far. I look forward to having this fixed, then I won't have to export as much to other apps.