You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guides and Guide Manager

Setting up guides in a document is not a fun task. There is no shortcut button or icon on any of the tool bars so you have to resort to the menu all the time, when guides are something we are always using. It would be great to have such a shortcut. Also, the guide manager, though rather easy to use, is not exactly pleasant. It creates a “default” guide at the center of the page. Granted, you can move it, but when you have several guides, seeing new numbers there just makes it confusing. It would be much better if the location or value window were empty to begin with. Also regarding the guide manager, once you double click on a value to change it, it is impossible to read what you are typing, because the background turns light and the font remain white. Finally, it would be great if guides could be treated as objects, a la Adobe Illustrator, so they can be copied, moved, etc. with a keyboard shortcut or while viewing its location somewhere, instead of having to enter the Guide Manager again. Thanks!

Also, is it possible to have a function to reorder the numeric list of guides in the Guides Manager in ascending or descending order? When adding a new guide, it seems to default to adding it at the end of the list so you end up with a random list of guides which is not easy to navigate especially if you add say a vertical guide to the left of an existing guide. 

On 9/21/2018 at 7:05 PM, HectorUlag said:

Finally, it would be great if guides could be treated as objects, a la Adobe Illustrator, so they can be copied, moved, etc. with a keyboard shortcut or while viewing its location somewhere, instead of having to enter the Guide Manager again. Thanks!

+ 1

On 9/21/2018 at 7:05 PM, HectorUlag said:

There is no shortcut button or icon on any of the tool bars so you have to resort to the menu all the time, when guides are something we are always using.

If you show the ruler you can drag a guide from it onto your page. I zoom into the area of the page I want the guide and drag one on. 

I do agree with your suggestions about how the manager could be improved. Plus I would like to be able to convert objects to "guides" somehow, maybe a guides layer with everything under it being rendered into a guide.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
3 hours ago, Helmar said:

+1 for "copying guides"

Why not just put the guides on a Master Page, and apply the Master Page where it's needed?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Why not just put the guides on a Master Page, and apply the Master Page where it's needed?

Thanks, that is a partial solution if you need a minimal or base set of guides and want to apply all other elements of that selfsame Master Page, but it's indirect and doesn’t help with a lot of my cases involving complex layouts with variants upon variants, using guides temporarily, etc. it would become untenably complicated to use multiple variants of Master Pages in this way or to load up a Master Page with all guide variants only to try and use the ones I need for a given page. Guide-copying remains a discrete and ongoing need. 

20 minutes ago, Incoming Fax said:

Thanks, that is a partial solution if you need a minimal or base set of guides and want to apply all other elements of that selfsame Master Page, but it's indirect and doesn’t help with a lot of my cases involving complex layouts with variants upon variants, using guides temporarily, etc. it would become untenably complicated to use multiple variants of Master Pages in this way or to load up a Master Page with all guide variants only to try and use the ones I need for a given page. Guide-copying remains a discrete and ongoing need. 

OK. But note that (a) a page can have multiple Masters applied and (b) you could have several masters, each with a unique set of guides and no other content. Any combination could then be applied to any given page, as needed.

On page 12 you need the Guides at position X and and at position Y? Just apply the PositionXGuide master and the PositionYGuide master. The only issue is remembering to say not to replace the prior masters, and I'll admit that is a risk that may not be too risky for some.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1