You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master Page Content Disappears

I am currently running version 1.7.0.133, but I noticed this behaviour in previous versions as well. On some master pages, the content disappears on the project pages after the project is saved, AP is closed, and the project is opened again. Here is an example:

I have a Master page with 4 text frames at the top of the page. The project is set to Facing Pages. I'm using a two-page spread Master Page. On the left page: a small frame with the page number, a text frame with the novel title. On the right page, a text frame with the author's name, a text frame with the page number. When I apply the page to a project page, everything shows up. The headings appear as expected. Now, if I save the project, close AP, reopen AP and reload the same project, some of the content at the top of the right page disappears. Sometimes it's just the page number, and other times it's the content of both text frames on the right page. Interestingly, all content of the left page is still visible.

I have looked at Layers for both the Master Page and the project pages that use it, and all boxes are checked for content of the Master Page. I've tried unchecking them and rechecking them again, but this does not help. If I drag the same Master Page to other project pages, all the content on the right page is visible, and remains visible on the new pages, as long as I work on the project. Once I save the project, close AP, reopen AP and then the project, the right-page items have disappeared again. There seems to be no way to get it back.

UPDATE: I just created two single Master Pages--Left Master and Right Master, and copied the text frames from the original spread Master Pages. Interestingly, when creating a new Single Master Page, it will always default to creating a left page. I must manually reposition all the guides and change margins to make a right page. I set some project pages to use the new single Master Pages, saved the project, closed AP and opened it again, and opened the project again. This time the content of the two text frames for the project pages using the new Single Master Pages, displayed as expected. So, it would seem the disappearing content only applies to the right side of a two-page spread Master Page.

Edited by ToOldForThis
Updated testing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi, 

I've had a go at reproducing this using to steps you mention but haven't had any luck so far.

Is it possible for you to attach the problem file so I can look into it further?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

• Staff
On 9/21/2018 at 9:15 PM, ToOldForThis said:

On some master pages, the content disappears on the project pages after the project is saved, AP is closed, and the project is opened again.

Thanks for your research. We have fixed this problem reloading master pages in the latest beta (139) which you can find at the top of the forum. It would be great if you could update and let us know if you have further problems. You may have to remove and reapply any masters that have ‘disappeared’.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried this again in the latest beta (139) with the same results. If I use a two-page spread Master, the content on the right side disappears after AP is closed, and AP is opened again, then the document. Left side is OK. Does not happen with single-page Master. Missing content is very simple: text box containing author's name, and text box containing page number. Same content on single-page Master shows fine.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.