You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Clicking text to select

I just noticed that double clicking text choose a word. (good) Yet triple clicking selects the paragraph. no no nope please.  Triple click should select a line, Quadruple click selects a paragraph. A big miss here so far. Please fix. OR am I missing a preference in options.  hmmm guess i should look before posting. Nope, couldn't find it. 

24 minutes ago, BLKay said:

Accept Cmd-A selects every paragraph.  4 click selects one paragraph. 

Sorry, yeah I was agreeing with you - 4 Clicks should select one paragraph, but is currently selecting all, which is also a duplication of short-cuts

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

I'm having issues with selecting text using the cursor keys. Maybe it has to do with preferences on my Mac but I don't think so. I already adapted the shortcut keys for Publisher (disabling alt + left and alt + right) and hope to work like this:

alt + right-arrow => go to end of word (add shift to select)

alt + left-arrow => go to start of word (add shift to select)

alt + up arrow => go to start of paragraph (add shift to select)

alt + down arrow => go to end of paragraph (add shift to select)

home (numeric pad) => go to start of text (add shift to select)

end (numeric pad) => go to end of text (add shift to select)

It seems Publisher allows only to select words or the entire text using the cursor keys. I didn't find any options to define shortcuts for moving or selecting text...

What is your experience?

Iaing - yup, I know you were agreeing. I just wanted to make sure that the developers didn't think that Select All was the same as select Paragraph and somehow leave this alone.  Because it is not. Select all selects everything inside the text box.  3 clicks selects just one paragraph within the text box. It should be 4 clicks. 3 clicks should be one line. This makes it easy to adjust leading (line spacing on one line.. or delete or copy etc.) I lay out a lot of ads and like to keep some of my text within the same text box so this triple click one line is important. InDesign knows this. 

Wow yes. Thanks Wim.  I just tried this in InDesign using Shift Command and arrow keys.   WOOT!   34 years of DTP and I never got into learning this simple one. Goes to show you can teach an old dog new tricks. I know that the simplest keyboarding class now would probably teach this in 101.  But my keyboarding class was on a manual typewriter. I knew this type of thing could be done but I just never looked into it.  Ya made my day.  I think I've seen my wife do this. ughhhh

Whenever I train new people at work, navigating text using the keyboard is about the first thing I tell them. It still surprises me how few of them know about this. It is so essential if you want to work efficiently. The benefit is you can use it anywhere: e-mail, word, blogs, this forum,... and hopefully soon in Publisher as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I am used to this feature but I think Ready,Set,Go also had this feature.  Yeah i go wayyyy back.  Even to MacPublisher 1, 2 and 3 on a 512k Fat Mac.

Thanks for moving this to feature requests. 

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.