You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master pages are not applied

Is it a facing pages document? There's some weird things going on with master page display in the new build. Just tried it and if you create a new facing pages document with just one (right page) then add a master page it creates right and left masters, but only the left master has a white page background. So if you naturally add page items to the left master page, as it's visible, that won't affect your right non-master page. If you add more non-master pages, then the masters swap; and the left background disappears and the right appears!

Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 22.16.27.png

MacBook Pro M1 Max, macOS 12.6.1 Monterey
Affinity Designer : 2.0  Affinity Photo: 2.0,   Affinity Publisher: 2.0

2 hours ago, iaing said:

Is it a facing pages document? There's some weird things going on with master page display in the new build. Just tried it and if you create a new facing pages document with just one (right page) then add a master page it creates right and left masters, but only the left master has a white page background.

Do you have View > View Mode > Clip to Canvas toggled on? When I have it on I have the same problem, except I lose the Left page and can see the Right page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

55 minutes ago, gordo said:

Except that Wim Daniels says it doesn't happen to him.

Well it does happen to me.  Mac, with Sierra.  If you create facing document pages and set margins, and then create master pages for the same document, setting different margins, they will not apply to the document pages.   I have tried dragging  the master page spread  thumbnail over a document spread.  Nothing. I have tried using the dialog boxes Apply Master Pages.  Nothing.  The only way this seems to work is to delete all document pages, set the master pages, then add document pages to the project.  I haven’t tried doing all that and then changing the margins on the master pages to see if they change on the document pages, but spent a fruitless hour today struggling with this.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

8 hours ago, gordo said:

Except that Wim Daniels says it doesn't happen to him.

At the time when Wim replied there had been no mention of margins. 

There are several other threads reporting the same issue, for example... 

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

There seems to be an issue with margins regarding master pages indeed.

But it is only the margins that are not being applied to the pages. Any objects on the master page with different margins are copied as they should.

In a way there is logic behind it: any objects on a page should remain untouched by applying a master page. Only master page objects should be removed when applying another master page. When a page is first created it 'inherits' the margins from the document settings. So applying the master page does not change that: the margins are part of the page, they're not from a master page. From a user perspective one expects the margins of the master page to overrule those of the page.

So yes, it is a bug. And I have it too!

I can't even get master pages to show up. I have a document with 20 facing pages. When I try to create a master with facing pages, I think it is just adding regular pages to the document because the master pages box is literally empty. I'm not seeing margins on my pages even though I set them in the master page creation process. I'll try deleting all pages and then setting up masters. 

Macbook Air (2013 build) w/ Sierra

Screen Shot 2018-09-24 at 11.37.28 AM.png

I was just checking to see if this was still happening and crashed. I got the Master to appear and then it crashed. Anyone want the report?

Affinity Publisher Beta_2018-09-22-091445_Bruces-MacBook.crash.zip

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.