You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher beta large Photo and typeset

WatchmanDGS

I had an existing photo that I had used for various project and wanted to test Publisher out. I have used Serif products for many years. This is a Fall photo, very good one at that. I polished it up with Fall Feasts, Some scripture, and other tools provided.

It came out well I thought for the first time using your Publisher. I do websites, graphics, books, and publishing in our work at Warn-Usa.com for our WIBR Media. 

AA-New_Fall_Feasts-2018affinity.jpg

Shouldn't it read:  "in respect of a holy day"

"a" is generally used before a word with a consonant and "an" is used before a vowel but it has more to do with the sound of the word so "a hour" is correct but "an hour sounds correct"

In this instance "a holy day" is correct on both parts. Try saying "an holy day" it doesn't sound right but "a holy day" does. 

I'm loving the autumnal colouring.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

26 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Shouldn't it read:  "in respect of a holy day"

Not according to the KJV. (Disclaimer: Other versions are available.)

"a" is generally used before a word with a consonant and "an" is used before a vowel but it has more to do with the sound of the word so "a hour" is correct but "an hour sounds correct"

In this instance "a holy day" is correct on both parts. Try saying "an holy day" it doesn't sound right but "a holy day" does.

Some people write “an hotel” because they pronounce it as “an ’otel”. I suspect this is just another example.

I'm loving the autumnal colouring but I think the orange lettering might look better without the 3D effect so that it stands out from the title and web address, also remove the yellow glow and put a dark brown shadow on the orange lettering to make it jump off the page, it will also have the added benefit of making the orange lettering clearer

I completely agree, on all counts.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

The way I learned it was that if the word after the "a" started with a vowel or sounded like it started with a vowel - e.g. hour (our, not hower) - then you were to use "an" instead of "a".
As with most of the things we learned at school, there are probably many exceptions to the rule which don't come to mind right now.

If you're quoting from scripture it's probably best to just to put what the exact words are; people can try and complain to the original author if they want to.

P.S. A late 19th Century Bible that's on one of my bookshelves says "an" too.

The trouble is there are multiple variations on a theme with scripture,  I haven't personally got a clue about scripture and what it should say but when I went to look I found about 4 different versions of the scripture quoted, barring this one in the document and considering how many versions of the bible there are and how many factions of Christianity there are its difficult to know the true version. Of the versions I found 3 had 'a' following holyday. 

Ive always gone by the rule if it sounds or is awkward to say its wrong and "an holy day" sounds wrong to me and is awkward to say because you pronounce the H you don't say oly day. 

I suppose I forgot to take into account local dialect as well, how people write can be how they speak :D so I've gorra geroff now an gerrah drink o waatah me duck. hahaha!

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

52 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

you don't say oly day

You do if you’re Dick Van Dyke doing a notoriously bad version of a Cockney accent! ;)

I suppose I forgot to take into account local dialect as well, how people write can be how they speak :D so I've gorra geroff now an gerrah drink o waatah me duck. hahaha!

Ooh, that’s very East Midlands, that is!!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)