You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Public Beta - 1.7.0.133 (mac)

• Staff

This thread is now locked as there is a more recent beta available in a thread pinned to the top of this forum

Click here to download the latest beta for macOS

Purpose: General Testing
Requirements: None

Hi, you may have recently received an email about build 128, but here on the cutting edge we have build 133 for you. Hopefully we will put it on Auto Update early next week, but for now it is just a manual download.

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity where you may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. 

We hope you enjoy the product, and as always, if you've got any problems installing or running up, please don't hesitate to post in this thread.

Any problems actually using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum. Many thanks for your continued feedback.

Fix List

General Tools and Menus
- Added facility to Create and Manage Document Presets from New Document dialog
- Text frame column control not shown on smaller Mac screens
- Stabiliser for Pencil tool fixed
- Remove Baseline Grid Toggle from the Toolbar
- Zoom tool fixed to default to Scrubby Zoom on Windows (Scrubby Rulez, OK)
- Ctrl-click not bringing up context menu for page objects on Mac
- Ctrl-click not bringing up context menu in Pages Panel
- Fixed Escape not dismissing context menu on Windows
- Preferences > Auto-correct options not remembered after restart
- Preferences > Title Exceptions UI not working as expected on Mac
- Preferences > Reset Fills could crash on Mac
- Fix for Preferences > 'Automatically Update Linked Resources' not applying after restart
- Fixed some keyboard shortcut combinations not working to apply Text Styles

Import
- Implemented better Bleed handling when opening PDF files

Page Management
- Fixed Pages Panel thumbnail drawing which could fail (on Windows)
- Fixed instance where Master Pages failed to create
- Bleed settings converted to Inner / Outer Bleed for facing pages documents

Text
- Fixed crash pressing Cmd-Delete on an empty text frame
- Fixed application of a paragraph style wiping character style attributes
- Drawing of red wavy spell underlines is erratic
- Hide overflow text by default (Publisher only)
- Applying a DropCap now decomposes any ligature
- Fixed application of DropCap affecting whether ligatures are disabled by kerning
- Fixed Optical Alignment with accented characters
- Fixed Optical Alignment issues with Tab stops
- Triple clicking paragraph to select it no longer highlights bullet / number on next paragraph
- Fixed 'Autofit Frame to Text' causing overflow in some circumstances
- Paragraph Panel, Tab Stops section, Tab stop leader dropdown button fixed on Mac
- Added capability to centre list text after bullet
- Prevented unwanted character attributes being applied to bullets and list numbering
- Fixed silly limit on 'Start numbering at' for numbered lists
- Tab stop 'From Right' setting not being honoured for the Text Ruler
- Fixed crash on Mac accessing Stylistic Sets from Character Panel
- Frame text column guides added as an 'Object Geometry' Snapping Candidate

Tables
- Multiple instances of System Palette appeared in Table Fills list

Images and Resources
- Fixed failure of Mac 'Quick Look' to close from the Place dialog
- 'Linked Resource Changed' pop up could causes the afpub file to be locked on Mac
- Resource Manager list 'Update' fixes
- Fixed some Selection issues when working with Resource Manager 
- Picture Frame Properties dialog fixed for large UI fonts
- Fixed Picture Frame crash when converting to curves

Assets
- Fixed import and export of Assets on Windows

TOC
- Adding character to TOC separator field could cause crash

Export
- Moved 'Preview Export when complete' on PDF Export to main dialog
- Redundant 'Include Bleed' removed from PDF Export > 'More' Options
- Export now allows picking a page / spread / range for export
- Removed references to Export Persona in File Export 

and the fixes included in the previous patch #128

Thanks for all the work,

I have to point out that you missed one AdamW, (or I missed it in the previous build) but now I see that when I increase the size of the gutter in a Text Frame and then resize the text frame the columns all retain their relative width. Was this already fixed and I missed it because I really like it. [big-smiley-face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff

@ckingpin

Welcome back to the Affinity forums :) 

That does not sound right. I hope you don't mind but as this sounds like a bug could you please post a new thread in this forum rather than add your question to this update thread.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks @AdamW for this great news, i'm downloading the new beta now and will also play with it during the week-end ... actually not really playing with but putting it in production front line and see how it works.
I really don't mind it crashing on this or that, in fact crashing on production work is the opportunity to log a report to you so you sort it.

don't forget to enjoy your week-end with your family while we are exploring the depth of publisher (if possible do to so).

Blessings to Y'All.

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

Just had a quick play - looking good

Still major bug rasterising on a page ignoring bleed - not tested any of the other bleed problems yet - but getting better with every update

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Thank you for this update! It’s cool to see the application evolve. :)

When I installed the new beta, there was an icon in the toolbar that really made me curious. It somehow looked like this one below. But after making a factory reset of Publisher it was gone. So I have the impression there is something pretty cool in the pipeline. :ph34r:

Icon.png.b2de4a9bd4d09c5edbb85da67f0e0ca2.png

18 hours ago, A_B_C said:

Thank you for this update! It’s cool to see the application evolve. :)

When I installed the new beta, there was an icon in the toolbar that really made me curious. It somehow looked like this one below. But after making a factory reset of Publisher it was gone. So I have the impression there is something pretty cool in the pipeline. :ph34r:

Icon.png.b2de4a9bd4d09c5edbb85da67f0e0ca2.png

Looks like the Rotate Clockwise icon which was on the previous beta and you can add it back with the Customise Toolbar command if you want to.

There have been a few changes to the Toolbar icons in this beta, not sure if that was intentional or a bug.  Would be nice to know either way.

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have been using it recently for various things. It started as a hope to find something I could use instead of indesign. So far it is progressing nicely and it might actually fit my night in a pinch, with the attractive pricing I am considering to actually invest in this one when it comes out. And considering that at the first beta I was taken aback, this is quite something.

In light of this positive and encouraging post for the developers, I would like to give only one major thing I would need/love to see come soon, and this are footnotes and endnotes. 

Thanks for being busy and updating us with newer betas.

Really, REALLY annoying that download stalls every time I try, 5 hours now.
You need to seriously upgrade bandwidth on download servers.
I guess that I have to wait for American downloaders to go asleep like the last time for download to work.

Making the rest of the world wait 24 hours is not a good thing. Really annoying and frustrating :(

Been putting APubBeta through a testing. Not as thorough as others, as my needs are minimal and specific. So far it's been great at doing lettering for comics. Can't wait for the final version so I can swap between Affinity Apps for SFX lettering and hand-done titles, etc. But right now it's working wonderfully. I can set an oval as a text frame, add text to it, create the balloon in one layer and the stroke layer below that. Pretty much the same workflow as in the Red A's apps; but more fun in Affinity's apps ;) 

For me and my workflow, the best feature of APubBeta is the linked resource changed (or as I think of it "refreshed resource", alliteration is my jam) -- it's one feature I adored in Comic Life, as I letter to the layouts of my rough pencilled pages and then alter the roughs as needed if the text is too much or too little for the panel. This way I have a "2nd Pass" for my rough pages before I refine the pencils and begin inking. Then for the finished pages, I just re-export then from Clip Studio Paint, with the same file name and overwrite the rough pages. And bingo! The roughs are replaced with the shiny new inked pages (or fully colored pages if I go that route). Basically APubBeta is the perfect replacement for Comic Life, not that it's a "bad" app, it's just that some typographic features are missing and Affinity Designer/Publisher can do what CL does and more. While making comics is a niche publishing area, I'm sure that there's going to be more than just a few comic-makers interested in Publisher. Now if only envelope distortion and pucker/blot functions could be added soon-ish...

What I mean to emphasize is that the way APubBeta works makes it very adaptable to many different needs and workflows. Because, c'mon fess up devs, how many of you guys had comics in mind when developing Publisher? 

So thanks for such a wonderful app, even when it's in Beta! And I can't help to smirk a bit when I use Alfred to start up the Beta, Alfred can open apps with just abbreviations. Affinity Publisher Beta's is APB, which I immediately think of All Points Bulletin   (of which I blame on watching too many police shows as a wee lad).

Mac OS X Catinlina, 2014 iMac, 3.5 Ghz Intel Core i7, Huion Kamvas Pro 22 Graphic Tablet, 16GB RAM, MacOS10.12 || Magic keyboard w/numeric keypad, wireless trackpad, Kengsington Edge Trackball || Flux Capacitor in a secure location

---

I encourage kids to go ahead and play on my lawn. I mean, how else can I make sure the death-traps work?

5 hours ago, carl123 said:

Looks like the Rotate Clockwise icon which was on the previous beta and you can add it back with the Customise Toolbar command if you want to.

No, this icon is named “Rotate Planar Clockwise” (or similarly) in the Resources folder. So I would guess this belongs to some of the new grid options that were described elsewhere.

On 9/21/2018 at 6:37 PM, AdamW said:

- Fixed instance where Master Pages failed to create

That one has been bugging me quite a lot without being able to pinpoint when and why the Master Page creation would fail or not. I hope it is better now.

• Staff
20 minutes ago, vonBusing said:

That one has been bugging me quite a lot without being able to pinpoint when and why the Master Page creation would fail or not. I hope it is better now.

It was a UI issue with the dialog, which could just fail to supply the right settings to the back end. I hope we've nailed it. Let us know if you have further problems.

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Eugene Tyson said:

Disappointed that Bleed Settings are not included in the new document dialog box. Is this being looked at? Reported it weeks ago and it gathered a lot of support, hence the disappointment.

Yes it is, patience please.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
18 hours ago, Frankm said:

Text Wrapping is totally failing.

Please report bugs in new threads as suggested in the top post by AdamW, preferably with a sample file showing the problem.

Wrapping is applied to the object to be wrapped around, not the text frame itself. In that way each object can have it's own wrapping parameters and therefore offset.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd